Flash Hiders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owasso

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does the design of a flash hinder really make an AR quieter? I have standard A2 flash hinder, but was reading that certain flash hider designs make a difference in recoil (not an issue for me) and sound. Is this just a marketing gimmick. So much of the AR add-ons are purely for appearance and do nothing for function. If it makes a difference is it significant? Finally, what is your favorite flash hider and why?

Thanks

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From your description, I think you're asking about a sound suppressor. A flash suppressor reduces muzzle flash. There are different makes and models and they affect the flash in different ways.

A sound suppressor AKA silencer can reduce the sound to the point that you can shoot without hearing protection.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Flash hiders hide the flash.

Compensators can reduce felt recoil somewhat, though this isn't much of an issue in ARs, especially in 5.56. But comps can and usually do make the standard AR sound LOUDER, especially out to the sides depending on the design. My Ranier comp gets a lot of attention at the range, people seem to think I'm shooting something much bigger than 5.56.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of them claim to redirect the blast away from the shooter, which would kinda make it seem quieter. Not sure that they make enough difference to really be noticeable, though.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If a muzzle device makes a gun quieter - it is a silencer by definition and therefore NFA item.

The term “Firearm Silencer” or “Firearm Muffler” means any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm,

Owasso

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If a muzzle device makes a gun quieter - it is a silencer by definition and therefore NFA item.

The term “Firearm Silencer” or “Firearm Muffler” means any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm,

Why would you post this? Is does not answer the question posed?

Again several makers advertise various flash hiders that are supposedly quieter than others. If someone has firsthand experience with one that actually is quieter, I would like to know. I know what a Suppressor is.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why would you post this? Is does not answer the question posed?

Again several makers advertise various flash hiders that are supposedly quieter than others. If someone has firsthand experience with one that actually is quieter, I would like to know. I know what a Suppressor is.

If it reduces the sound by 1 decibel it is considered a suppressor and subject to NFA regulations.
Certain flash hiders direct the noise away from the shooter but the people on either side suffer.
Most claims are advertising B.S.
Just like all the AR mfgrs (Daniel Defense,BCM,PSA,DPMS,Rock River,ETC.) claiming to be #1. We all know this is total advertising B.S. Because everybody at OSA knows Rijas is the best.
I thinks he makes flash hiders.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think everyone is getting tripped up on noise reduction vs. decibel rating at the ear of the shooter. Forget noise reduction entirely, that is only happening with a can. What the OP is asking about is a muzzle device that directs more of the noise away from the shooter.

Any flash hider (FH) is going to redirect the report away from the shooter very slightly vs. a bare muzzle. Among muzzle attachments, about the only FH's I'd imagine that could improve on that is the old Vietnam era style XM177 FH, but it's 5.5" long, or the Noveske KH3 (Pig), but it's heavy.

XM177:

[Broken External Image]

Pig:

cdn3.volusion.com_j4enh.r2en5_v_vspfiles_photos_KX3_20Pig_2T.jc061e31c7b2cc8fb2f00149a6ca12727.jpg

Then you get into compensators. They usually do little to hide muzzle flash, but mitigate perceived recoil instead. Almost all comps are louder than a FH or bare muzzle to the shooter. If it has any ports to the side of the device, it's going to be louder (even the ones on the page you linked). There are however three or four linear compensators that don't increase the report at the ear.

The oldest design is the Levang Linear Compensator.

www.brownells.com_userdocs_products_p_231015022_1.jpg

Black River Tactical has one they call a cross between a comp and a FH. My cousin has one on his 18" 6.8 AR and it's pretty decent. It's also the same size and weight as the A2 "birdcage" FH. If you want some flash suppression and redirect of the muzzle blast, this may be your best bet:

www.blackrivertactical.com_product_files_image007.jpg

I have a 16" 6.8 AR and I went with the Kies Blast Master from Joe Bob Outfitters. It seems quite effective on both report and felt recoil, at least for a linear comp that is:

[Broken External Image]

Notice it has a larger expansion chamber than the Levang or Black River, along with a shroud extending past the ports to direct the muzzle blast forward. Here's a couple of comparison pics with the Kies between some popular muzzle devices:

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

They run $45 from Joe Bob and are available in 1/2X28 for 5.56 and 5/8X24 for 6.8/.30 Cal. All I can say is I'm happy with mine. Hope this is helpful! :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom