Flash Hiders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owasso

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think everyone is getting tripped up on noise reduction vs. decibel rating at the ear of the shooter. Forget noise reduction entirely, that is only happening with a can. What the OP is asking about is a muzzle device that directs more of the noise away from the shooter.

Any flash hider (FH) is going to redirect the report away from the shooter very slightly vs. a bare muzzle. Among muzzle attachments, about the only FH's I'd imagine that could improve on that is the old Vietnam era style XM177 FH, but it's 5.5" long, or the Noveske KH3 (Pig), but it's heavy.

XM177:

[Broken External Image]

Pig:

cdn3.volusion.com_j4enh.r2en5_v_vspfiles_photos_KX3_20Pig_2T.jc061e31c7b2cc8fb2f00149a6ca12727.jpg

Then you get into compensators. They usually do little to hide muzzle flash, but mitigate perceived recoil instead. Almost all comps are louder than a FH or bare muzzle to the shooter. If it has any ports to the side of the device, it's going to be louder (even the ones on the page you linked). There are however three or four linear compensators that don't increase the report at the ear.

The oldest design is the Levang Linear Compensator.

www.brownells.com_userdocs_products_p_231015022_1.jpg

Black River Tactical has one they call a cross between a comp and a FH. My cousin has one on his 18" 6.8 AR and it's pretty decent. It's also the same size and weight as the A2 "birdcage" FH. If you want some flash suppression and redirect of the muzzle blast, this may be your best bet:

www.blackrivertactical.com_product_files_image007.jpg

I have a 16" 6.8 AR and I went with the Kies Blast Master from Joe Bob Outfitters. It seems quite effective on both report and felt recoil, at least for a linear comp that is:

[Broken External Image]

Notice it has a larger expansion chamber than the Levang or Black River, along with a shroud extending past the ports to direct the muzzle blast forward. Here's a couple of comparison pics with the Kies between some popular muzzle devices:

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

They run $45 from Joe Bob and are available in 1/2X28 for 5.56 and 5/8X24 for 6.8/.30 Cal. All I can say is I'm happy with mine. Hope this is helpful! :)

Thank you. Your response was helpful. The only flash hider I have ever used is the A2 style. I was curious is others had a favorite style and if so why? If they do something besides make the rifle look cool, I was thinking about replacing mine. I knew of several makers that marketed devices that would reduce muzzle rise and supposedly reduce the noise. I was curious about the supposed noise reduction, defection, redirection, whatever you want to call it.

Thanks again.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have several, I use the YHM Phantom and Annihilator on several rifles, the A2 on a couple and a Ranier comp on one. The only one I notice anything specific on is the Ranier, which is much, MUCH louder. Other than that, for me, it's mostly all just aesthetics, tbh.

Owasso

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks to those of you who shared your experience with various flash hinder/non-suppressor muzzle devices. Your insights are exactly what I was looking for. I hunt with my AR mainly coyotes and generally with a friend or child. One of the things I have noticed is it that AR's are deafening for those siting next to or nearby the shooter. Short of a suppressor, I was looking for a way to protect the hearing of myself and the people who hunt with me. Based on what I have learned, I think I am going to try the Levang style muzzle break.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It would be more useful the shorter you go with the barrel. I have the KX5 on my 10.5 SBR and it helps me, but doubt anybody down range any would like it. KX3/KX5 is too heavy for longer barrels and look dumb, you are wanting a linear comp/flash hider.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks to those of you who shared your experience with various flash hinder/non-suppressor muzzle devices. Your insights are exactly what I was looking for. I hunt with my AR mainly coyotes and generally with a friend or child. One of the things I have noticed is it that AR's are deafening for those siting next to or nearby the shooter. Short of a suppressor, I was looking for a way to protect the hearing of myself and the people who hunt with me. Based on what I have learned, I think I am going to try the Levang style muzzle break.

Let us know if it does what you need! :)

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Short of a suppressor, I was looking for a way to protect the hearing of myself and the people who hunt with me

Quality ear protection for everyone around is the ONLY thing that will do what you want "short of a suppressor".

Testing what muzzle devices do on "a friend or child" is nothing short of f***ked up.

JoLee1868

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a SJC Titan Compensator on my AR platform and it does a fantastic job at eliminating muzzle climb on firing, specifically quick follow up shooting.

HOWEVER, something I didnt consider was just how unbearably loud the brake makes the rifle. People to the left or right to you can feel the gas back-blast and it is definately not good on your ears at all (compared to firing a standard A2 bird cage to this, it is NOTICEABLY louder)

just thought i would give my experience with the one comp i have used

http://www.laruetactical.com/sjc-titan-compensator-223

Owasso

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quality ear protection for everyone around is the ONLY thing that will do what you want "short of a suppressor".

Testing what muzzle devices do on "a friend or child" is nothing short of f***ked up.

What on Earth are you talking about? Who said anything about testing a muzzle device on a friend or Child. This type of moronic post is why a lot of knowledgable folks don't like to participate on forums.

Latest posts

Top Bottom