Flash Hiders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owasso

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some muzzle devices indeed can be quieter than the other muzzle devices - but never quieter than a bare muzzle simply by the law.

Here is your original question:
"Does the design of a flash hinder really make an AR quieter?"

Here is the original answer:
"If a muzzle device makes a gun quieter - it is a silencer by definition and therefore NFA item."

Why do you keep posting disregarding and descending remarks towards me. Seriously, what's your argument? What should we ignore the law or common sense?

Find anywhere in the thread where I asked for the definition of a silencer or where I asked anyone to ignore the law. No one ever asked what the legal definition of silencer was and I never asked about any illegal devices. The real issue is you that posted the following, "Testing what muzzle devices do on "a friend or child" is nothing short of f***ked up," which is a complete fabrication. Now, instead of admitting what you said was wrong, you keep on trying to excuse your poor behavior.

You can either "man up" and apologize or you can quit posting. In the future if you don't understand the question posted, move on and don't post. But don't ever accuse me of something like this "Testing what muzzle devices do on "a friend or child" is nothing short of f***ked up, and expect me not call you out.

I asked a simple question to which I received a number helpful responses, but for some reason you decided you needed to post the above profanity laced missive.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I assume you don't have an access to a professional SPL meter (especially one that accurately reads above 150db) .... so ... HOW are you planning to test the effectiveness of the non-silencer device of your choice?

I have nothing to apologize for - you have said that you have fired AR-15 without a suppressor next to friends and children. The fact that noise has became a concern leaves no other option than an inadequate ear protection for YOU and THOSE AROUND.

I am not fabricating anything - it's all YOUR OWN words.

If you want an apology - I will gladly do so, if you point out where I was wrong (it wouldn't be my first time). You said you got no choice but to "call me out" - go ahead and do it. Sometimes we agree to disagree, sometimes truth comes out and people change their opinion - I am open to either; however "man-up or shut-up" ultimatum in a public forum is truly laughable - you ain't my baby mama nor Chinese goberment.

Owasso

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I assume you don't have an access to a professional SPL meter (especially one that accurately reads above 150db) .... so ... HOW are you planning to test the effectiveness of the non-silencer device of your choice?

I have nothing to apologize for - you have said that you have fired AR-15 without a suppressor next to friends and children. The fact that noise has became a concern leaves no other option than an inadequate ear protection for YOU and THOSE AROUND.

I am not fabricating anything - it's all YOUR OWN words.

If you want an apology - I will gladly do so, if you point out where I was wrong (it wouldn't be my first time). You said you got no choice but to "call me out" - go ahead and do it. Sometimes we agree to disagree, sometimes truth comes out and people change their opinion - I am open to either; however "man-up or shut-up" ultimatum in a public forum is truly laughable - you ain't my baby mama nor Chinese goberment.

Again you still won't own up to fact that you are bald face liar trying to cause trouble on a thread where there wasn't any otherwise. I never once said anything about"Testing what muzzle devices do on "a friend or child" is nothing short of f***ked up,". Instead of admitting what you said was wrong, you keep making childish excuses and trying deflect blame. I pointed where you are wrong serval times. There is absolutely no justification your profanity laced post or your poor behavior.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Testing what muzzle devices do on "a friend or child" is nothing short of f***ked up,". Instead of admitting what you said was wrong, you keep making childish excuses and trying deflect blame.

I admit what I said was wrong, so let me fix it:

Testing what muzzle devices do on "friends and children" is NOT f***ked up!!!!*

Happy? :hyper::wave:

Owasso

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think everyone is getting tripped up on noise reduction vs. decibel rating at the ear of the shooter. Forget noise reduction entirely, that is only happening with a can. What the OP is asking about is a muzzle device that directs more of the noise away from the shooter.

Any flash hider (FH) is going to redirect the report away from the shooter very slightly vs. a bare muzzle. Among muzzle attachments, about the only FH's I'd imagine that could improve on that is the old Vietnam era style XM177 FH, but it's 5.5" long, or the Noveske KH3 (Pig), but it's heavy.

XM177:

[Broken External Image]

Pig:

cdn3.volusion.com_j4enh.r2en5_v_vspfiles_photos_KX3_20Pig_2T.jc061e31c7b2cc8fb2f00149a6ca12727.jpg

Then you get into compensators. They usually do little to hide muzzle flash, but mitigate perceived recoil instead. Almost all comps are louder than a FH or bare muzzle to the shooter. If it has any ports to the side of the device, it's going to be louder (even the ones on the page you linked). There are however three or four linear compensators that don't increase the report at the ear.

The oldest design is the Levang Linear Compensator.

www.brownells.com_userdocs_products_p_231015022_1.jpg

Black River Tactical has one they call a cross between a comp and a FH. My cousin has one on his 18" 6.8 AR and it's pretty decent. It's also the same size and weight as the A2 "birdcage" FH. If you want some flash suppression and redirect of the muzzle blast, this may be your best bet:

www.blackrivertactical.com_product_files_image007.jpg

I have a 16" 6.8 AR and I went with the Kies Blast Master from Joe Bob Outfitters. It seems quite effective on both report and felt recoil, at least for a linear comp that is:

[Broken External Image]

Notice it has a larger expansion chamber than the Levang or Black River, along with a shroud extending past the ports to direct the muzzle blast forward. Here's a couple of comparison pics with the Kies between some popular muzzle devices:

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

They run $45 from Joe Bob and are available in 1/2X28 for 5.56 and 5/8X24 for 6.8/.30 Cal. All I can say is I'm happy with mine. Hope this is helpful! :)

Thank you for the suggestion of Levang Linear comp. It works exactly as described. The sound is projected forward away from the shooter. I will definitely use it on all my ARs.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm glad you were able to get a helpful answer Owasso. To go a little further, none of the muzzle devices that control recoil or muzzle rise also make the rifle quieter to the shooter (except perhaps a suppressor). If the device directs the blast forward, like those linear comps, it will actually increase recoil a bit. It's just physics.

I also hunt with no ear pro (got to hear the critters)! I took an 18.5" barreled .308 AR with a comp hunting this past winter... never again! If I hunt with one of those again, it will have at least an A2 type FH, if not a linear comp like yours.

Latest posts

Top Bottom