Flash Hiders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owasso

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm glad you were able to get a helpful answer Owasso. To go a little further, none of the muzzle devices that control recoil or muzzle rise also make the rifle quieter to the shooter (except perhaps a suppressor). If the device directs the blast forward, like those linear comps, it will actually increase recoil a bit. It's just physics.

I also hunt with no ear pro (got to hear the critters)! I took an 18.5" barreled .308 AR with a comp hunting this past winter... never again! If I hunt with one of those again, it will have at least an A2 type FH, if not a linear comp like yours.

The linear comp definitely sent the blast down range away from the shooter. Before purchasing the device from Midway I read the reviews on the Midway and Brownells websites, which were overwhelmingly positive. A couple of the reviewers remarked they wished the comp was available for 308. Another similar device recommended by Glocktogo that has great reviews is the Kies Blast Master, you might check and see if they make a device that fits a 308. If you find a linear comp for your 308, let me know what you think.

ddlstang

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad I ran across this, I'm building a 7.5" pistol and was trying to decide on FS or brake. Wanted not to offend everyone beside me at the range and was looking at the Levang. I know some of the comps are awful if you are anywhere but directly behind the gun.

Owasso, in the reviews several said they noticed an improvement in muzzle rise forcing the recoil directly rearward, did you notice this at all.

Owasso

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad I ran across this, I'm building a 7.5" pistol and was trying to decide on FS or brake. Wanted not to offend everyone beside me at the range and was looking at the Levang. I know some of the comps are awful if you are anywhere but directly behind the gun.

Owasso, in the reviews several said they noticed an improvement in muzzle rise forcing the recoil directly rearward, did you notice this at all.

I was mainly checking for reduced noise to the shooter. The day I tried out he Levang, I was shooting my K31 so shooting AR felt really soft in comparison. I will try to pay closer attention to the muzzle rise the next time I am at the range.

Nick710

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've used the standard A2, the Battle Comp and the BCM Gunfighter comp. There are trade-offs depending on what you want. The Battle comp did a great job at reducing muzzle climb, but at the cost of much greater noise. The A2 is about as good as you get for flash suppression, but the newer BCM Gunfighter comp does a great job of both reducing climb and suppressing flash without any detectable increase in the noise.

One side effects of some of the muzzle breaks is the side blast. Shooting from "Brokeback Prone", for instance, many brakes will dig quite a divet and spray the shooter with sand, dirt and gravel.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^Henschman tests his muzzle brakes/flash hiders etc...on his "friends". I'd hate to be his enemy....

I just ate the last of the pig from that day this morning... huevos con chorizo, mmm. It was worth giving you a little ear ringing, I promise. :)

To be fair, I test them on myself too, like I did at Rush Springs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom