For you small-tractor folks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For almost all tractor work OTHER than mowing, weight is the big deal.
A two wheel drive tractor properly weighted will do amazing work. Not enough weight and you'll be disappointed. 4x4 helps with no extra weight added. Someone mentioned calcium chloride....that is long accepted way to weight tires with liquid but it is very corrosive. I, along with a bunch of farmers I know, have opted to go to 50/50 antifreeze/water. Not quite as heavy a calcium but much less damaging if you develop a leak. Now...if most of your work is mowing the weight will really track your lawn. I opted to not try to to it all with one machine....Ford tractor/Toro Zero Turn mower.

weav199

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats a smokin hot deal right there. You might look into a canopy, they're pretty reasonable and 5-6 hrs in the summer sun will make ya glad ya got it. That MX5 is one bad mofo. What brand tiller did it come with?

It's green. Painted name is long gone. It's either a JD or Frontier. It's been used a lot. I've put a lot of hrs on it myself in the last year. I hear ya on the canopy! Was wishing I had one last summer! If I can't find one real cheap, I'll have to fab something.

Redmule454

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Perplexed,
I did a lot of research lately looking to buy an American made small tractor and found that we don't make them anymore. The Kubota and John Deere are Japanese, Mahindra, Case in India. See the attached link for more info. I went with the Kubota. It is second in popularity to the John Deere and usually less expensive.

http://www.compacttractorreview.com/articles/Compact-Tractor-Companies.aspx

I bought a used Kubota L3400 34 hp, 4x4, with low hours, front end loader and box blade. It is a 2005 model that was half the new price. I have already bought a post hole auger and 7' disc. It sure was handy to use to move the 20+" of snow we had.

Charley

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had very good service from my Mahindra 3510. With 4 wheel drive, front end loader, 6' finish mower, and 6' brush hog, was priced app. 6K less that John Deere. Green and yellow paint just doesn't mean that much to me.

I've had my Mahindra 3510 since 2002, with a front loader, 4X4, 35 hp and the industrial tread tires.
Have a Howe 72" towed brush hog with hydraulic following wheels, 72" King Kutter rotary tiller, 7' angle blade, 6 1/2' disk, and a Rear scoop.
I've had one problem since it was new. Last Sunday, had it at the farm to dig out some dirt from a pond that silted in and dried up. Took the disk to bust up the soil, so it would be bucketed out.
I had to go through some 10' tall sunflower stalks, and one of them got up under the cowling, knocking the oil fill plug out of the side of the engine. I spotted oil flying out of the hole, and couldn't find the plug, so had to call it a day. 700 hours on it so far with no problems.

BTW, I don't care if it JD, Massey, NH Ford, or whoever. There are currently NO tractors made in the US any more under 100 hp from the information I was given while shopping for mine. I asked each dealer where the tractors were built. They all said in India, China, Japan, or Taiwan. Some engines (mine) made in S Korea.

BTW, Mahindra, is the largest tractor manufacturer in the world, and one of the oldest.
They manufactured willis jeeps for US troops during WW II that were serving in the SE part of the pacific battle. Dammed fine tractors in my opinion.

redneck1861

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 21HP 4WD Kubota with a front end loader, and for the most part it does eveything that I need it to do. I have 120 acres and a bigger tractor would be great, but right now I can afford one. The only real complaint I have on the Kubota is that it does not have enough pulling power for me. The other day I was trying to move the SUV that I rolled last week, and the tracor was way underpoweed for the job. I actually almost turned it over trying to pull it back.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been looking around for used tractors as well as new, and I came across a used tractor dealership in Coweta called The Tractor Yard. I realize I'd be paying a premium for their offerings, but they advertise tractors that have been reconditioned with rebuilt heads, pumps, clutches, etc. and new filters, paint, and so on. Might be an alternative to a new tractor at 2/3 the cost of a new one, with a FEL thrown in.

Has anyone dealt with this outfit? Good, bad, ugly?

Latest posts

Top Bottom