Friend with felony conviction?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoo-t

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a good friend who unfortunately has a felony conviction. He did his time and is now a productive member of society. He would like to go to the range with me. Neither of us know for sure what the legality of that would be. We both know that a convicted felon cannot legally OWN a gun. The question is... can he legally go to a gun range with me and fire a gun that belongs to me?

Thank you!
Steve

edit - I'm sorry I meant to post this in general discussions instead of general firearms. Moderators please move it if it is in the wrong place.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Convicted felon cannot own or posses a firearm under any circumstances. Providing such firearm, even in the confines of a range and under your supervision is a felony as well.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Unless you want to join the ranks of convicted felons, leave your friend at home. My understanding of the law is, you can't have firearms that are accessible to felons, let alone take them to a range and let them fire them.

hoo-t

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, this is pretty much what I expected. The sad thing is that this is a guy that I would trust with my life. But the law is the law.

Thanks guys.
Steve

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
only way for your friend to legally have ANYTHING to do with firearms is to try and get the conviction expunged. Without knowing anything about the conviction (and I'm not asking), the chances of that happening are very low.

Thats the price that is paid for a felony.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Well, this is pretty much what I expected. The sad thing is that this is a guy that I would trust with my life. But the law is the law.

Thanks guys.
Steve

Yep. I never understood the whole felony conviction automatically strips you of your rights. I understand violent felons not being allowed gun rights. But some things that fall under the felony code should have nothing to do with gun ownership or being able to vote.

hoo-t

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. I never understood the whole felony conviction automatically strips you of your rights. I understand violent felons not being allowed gun rights. But some things that fall under the felony code should have nothing to do with gun ownership or being able to vote.

Our prison system is supposed to rehabilitate offenders, and I think in many, many cases it fails. But occasionally, you find someone who comes out seeing the error of his/her ways, and straightens out his/her life. This is the case with my friend. I tend to forget that he has that conviction on his record.

As I grew up, sometimes I looked at the consequences I would face if made bad choices. I knew right away that I didn't want to risk some consequences.

When I was younger, this was my outlook. Now, its more a matter of simply doing what's right. In this case, what's morally right, and what's legal don't seem to agree. But, I have no intentions of putting either of us in a position of committing a felony. Its sad to think that he could face prison time (and me too for that matter) for doing what the rest of us take for granted as a constitutional right. But now I'm faced with telling him that I don't want either of us in that position. I suppose we could go shoot my airguns....but its not quite the same.

Steve

Latest posts

Top Bottom