fte problem with ar15

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having problems with fte's on my sons ar15. the extractor is rigid...has no movement in the bolt...does anyone have any suggestions? and extra bolt with extractor?

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Is it ripping the rim off. I would think it should be rigid. as along as it is riding up over the rim and closing/chambering and locking on the round in the chamber it should be good.
Clean the chamber with a wire brush and then mop real good?
Sometimes gunk gets between the extractor and bolt or under the hook portion of the extractor. Make sure to clean that with a pick.
What type of failure or problem are you havng exactly.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So it is pulling empty case partially out of the chamber and the pushing new round and old round back in?
Sounds like your timing is off, possibly bolt bounce?

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What rifle are you shooting? What ammo are you shooting? Some AR's need to be well oiled. Your extractor's spring my be broken or gummed up.. how many rounds do you estimate have been fired through the weapon? If you bought the rifle new.. it should have come with a manual showing how to remove the extractor & any spring. If you don't have a manual, you can probably down load one from the internet.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So it is pulling empty case partially out of the chamber and the pushing new round and old round back in?
Sounds like your timing is off, possibly bolt bounce?

It is not bolt bounce. Bolt bounce (more correctly called bolt carrier bounce) causes a FTF (failure to fire) in full-auto. It is when the live round has been chambered and the carrier bounces back at the same time that the autosear has released the hammer. The hammer expends its energy pushing the carrier closed again and does not have enough energy to fire the round.

If the fired round is being extracted (but not ejected) and you are then getting a double feed of the empty cartridge along with the next live round I would suspect the ejector is the problem as SMS has already mentioned.

Need more specific details.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom