fte problem with ar15

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Extractor is most likley the problem but check how tight the spent round is in the chamber.
if it is too tight there might be something gumming up the chamber like burnt varnish off cheap ammo or a slight burr on an edge.
You can rule out a burr if you look at a spent cartridge and see no scrapings on the outside of it.

This is where I would start looking.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is this a recent problem? Has the gas tube been cleaned? Do you have another BCG that you could try?

Really no need to ever try to "clean" a gas tube. There is no spray or pipe cleaner that will remove anything that the 15,000psi of gas flowing thru it hasn't already blown free.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Extractor is most likley the problem but check how tight the spent round is in the chamber.
if it is too tight there might be something gumming up the chamber like burnt varnish off cheap ammo or a slight burr on an edge.
You can rule out a burr if you look at a spent cartridge and see no scrapings on the outside of it.

This is where I would start looking.

no burs, casing is not seized or tight in the chamber

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The extractor is on the side of the bolt right? not the pin correct? if so the extractor is stuck...it has no movement at all

Right, but what about the ejector? You are getting extraction, but not ejection....check the ejector and see if it's in a bind; stuck fully depressed, stuck fully extended, stuck somewhere in between etc...push on it with a piece of spent brass. It should depress under pressure and spring right back when released.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think it's extracting the round...after the bolt cycles..the spent casing is still sitting in the barrel....not loose in the chamber...

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ooops. My fault...I misunderstood your previous statement...you said you weren't getting ejection (well you aren't, but because you aren't getting extraction first, LOL).

Take the extractor out of the bolt yet? Clean it and inspect the spring/pin/buffer (if you have an extractor spring buffer).

How many rounds do you have through this bolt/extractor?

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2012-07-07 09.11.20.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom