Gar Fishing...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do any of you guys gar fish?

I took my wife gar fishing last week and we caught 1- 5ft. gar, 4- 4ft. gar, 3- 3ft. gar and a couple of small catfish. This was a lot of fun but, we lost no less than three times as many fish as what we caught...

I'm hoping we can go again next week and if we do, I'll be sure to take the camera along. For what they are, these were some really good looking fish - for a gar that is. Each one had a totally different "spot pattern" than the one before and like I said, they were a lot of fun to catch....

FlyGuyGSP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've landed very few intentionally (mostly because I don't know what i'm doing). I'd appreciate it if you'd be willing to share some insight into your setup for catching gar.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We shoot thousands of them a year
Nothing like a 200+ lb gator rolling up in you wheel house, except when you knock your arrow off and watch as both your other team mates arrows miss on the biggest gar tourney of the year.... Ya that didn't happen to us "twice" this April on the Trinity :smack:

Never fished for them on rod and reel but I've snagged and foul hooked a few, they are a fun fight. And honestly not bad to eat.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do any of you guys gar fish?

I took my wife gar fishing last week and we caught 1- 5ft. gar, 4- 4ft. gar, 3- 3ft. gar and a couple of small catfish. This was a lot of fun but, we lost no less than three times as many fish as what we caught...

I'm hoping we can go again next week and if we do, I'll be sure to take the camera along. For what they are, these were some really good looking fish - for a gar that is. Each one had a totally different "spot pattern" than the one before and like I said, they were a lot of fun to catch....

Were you fishing on Grand Lake? We used to go there a lot, and met a "gar guide" that took us out on the lake, They use a gar lure that is nothing but some wadded up nylon line that they get tangled in their teeth. Talk about fun in open water!

I agree, they are quite tasty, but a PITA to clean.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Caught this one by accident on a rooster tail. Dennis is right on about the shredded nylon though. If you really want to have fun, break out the 8wt flyrod and use the nylon for your fly. It's awesome!

i36.photobucket.com_albums_e33_ripple420_Gar.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thats the way I used to clean them.
Now, I take an ax and chop them into chunks, then take a fillet knife and cut the meat away from the outer skin. works pretty well.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Biggest I've arrowed was a 26 pound long nose on the Verdegris below Oologah. The water was swift and he was right at the edge of my range, headed downstream. If I hadn't dropped to my knees right before the line went tight, he'd have yanked me clean out of the boat. Slammed my chest against the gunwale and I almost lost the bow as well. It was one hell of a ride! :D

My wife hooked about a 10 pounder on Hudson a few weeks ago. It freaked her out! :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom