Gas cans and Gas Storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAMAGAN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repost I did the search thing first...

I was looking for some more 5 gallon gas cans so I could store some fuel for the genny if this snowmaggedon actually happens and found that those things are expensive. I found some at Atwoods finally for $12.99/5 gallon can.

Also, I was wondering about how well this winter mix is for storing in case the icepocalypse doesn't actually happen and I have a ton of gasoline on hand. From what I found your best bet is to get pure gasoline with no ethanol and put some Sta-Bil or Pri-G in it and you're good to go for at least a year. I read Pri-G has a test that has been running for 12-15 years and the gas is still considered refinery fresh.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
check garage or estate sales for gas cans.

just a general side note: please store fuel properly, You have no idea how many times I have went to houses and found people storing their lawnmower gas next to the natural gas hot water tank. :nono1:

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep like said above store it safely. If you don't have a storage building, cover it up with an old blanket is safer than in the garage. If you get new gas and immediately mix in stabil at the recommended dosage, you should be good to go. You could always dump em in your vehicle to use the gas up before it sits for a few months. Stabil has at least two formulas. 1 for Ethanol gas and 1 for pure gas.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was looking for some more 5 gallon gas cans so I could store some fuel for the genny if this snowmaggedon actually happens and found that those things are expensive. I found some at Atwoods finally for $12.99/5 gallon can.
One word of warning--the cans are good, but those sealing nozzles are junk. There's still a piece of the one I bought this summer that's rattling around in the gas tank of my dad's 8N--the first time I used it, the damned thing disassembled itself and dumped gasoline all over everything. Bought one of the (formerly known as) Blitz nozzles from WalMart, and it has worked fine ever since--well, as fine as these #%*!ing "CARB compliant" garbage nozzles can ever work. CARB is the root of all evil.

Of course, at that price, I'm assuming you bought the plastic cans--if you got the metal ones for that, let me know, 'cause I'm heading for Atwood's!

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your link worked, and the idea of using valve stems to add a vent is awesome; I'll have to do that after the icepocalypse is over. I have several of those cans, and the lack of a vent is the biggest problem I have with the danged things--it takes for-freaking-ever to empty one into a tractor when the can doesn't have a vent. (That, and the stupid things just about collapse in on themselves when they get cold.)

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep use it up next time you need gas after 3 months.

I have started putting up 20-30 gallons for the winter season. As the weather gets better, I use it to refill the cars and thus rotate my stock.

In the spring I'll put up another 20-30 gallons and rotate it in the fall.

BTW, the non-CARB conversion makes this task MUCH easier.

Dave

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midwest City (usually)/Eufaula (when possible)
DO NOT BUY ETHANOL FUEL FOR STORAGE!!!!!!!!!

Ethanol fuel has a shelf life of less than 90 days. As the alcohol evaporates it attracts water vapor. There is NO additive that will stop this process regardless of the product's claims. Also as a certified small engine mechanic I will advise you not to ever use ethanol fuel in any small engine - be it a mower, trimmer or generator! Ethanol creates acids that disolves aluminum, plastic and rubber.

Latest posts

Top Bottom