Get ready for Sunday&Monday.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis has answered a bunch of it for me. Our RV is equipped with a pure sine wave 3000 watt inverter/converter unit, and when the factory installed it, they put in 4 batteries instead of just two. So, MOST of our electrical needs are supplied by 12V batteries. As long as we have electric to keep them charged up, we don't lose lights. Our ceiling fan and our residential refrigerator are the primary items that run only on electric. Well, except for an electric fireplace and two space heaters.

If we should lose power (hasn't happened in 2 1/2 years), then we can get a generator to recharge the batteries in the RV.

If worse were to come about, we can go to youngest son's house and set up cots near the gas fireplace to stay warm.
Dennis batteries were dead and woke up to near freezing temps.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Channel 9 just got through stating we are at Level 1 now, with rolling blackouts put on the back burner. In the same breadth they were talking fans being toasty at the Thunder game tonight.
The folks from SPP said the game was taken into consideration in their energy forecasts (someone specifically asked about the game in their press conference).

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Background on problems with natural gas pipelines freezing:
"Former gas plant engineer here. Natural gas is dehydrated prior to export into pipelines, BUT it is dehydrated only to a certain dew point. Problem is, these temperatures currently being experienced are below that dew point, and so water is indeed condensing from the natural gas and then freezing. And it doesn't even have to 'freeze' to cause problems; natural gas also forms hydrates with water, which is like slush, and this can cause the same transmission problems as actual ice. Pipeliners inject methanol to take care of such problems, but I suspect the system is simply overwhelmed by low temperature and high demand." https://www.powerlineblog.com/archive

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On windows, I have Simonton 6100 series, double hung windows. Replaced the aluminum windows with these in 2012, that alone took my electric bill from $160 to $80 a month in the summer for cooling, heating ran around the same.

Then in 2018 I replaced the aging hvac with a 16 seer, 3 ton single stage American Standard with a 95% effecient natural gas furnace, summer cooling bills dropped to $60 a month and winter heating to $60 as well.

Revolvers4Life

S&W Collector
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We upgraded to R65 value blown in insulation in the attic and replaced all our windows and exterior doors last year. Definitely a huge upgrade for anyone on the fence that plans to stay in the same home for a while.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
On windows, I have Simonton 6100 series, double hung windows. Replaced the aluminum windows with these in 2012, that alone took my electric bill from $160 to $80 a month in the summer for cooling, heating ran around the same.

Then in 2018 I replaced the aging hvac with a 16 seer, 3 ton single stage American Standard with a 95% effecient natural gas furnace, summer cooling bills dropped to $60 a month and winter heating to $60 as well.

That sounds great... I'm guessing that same 2 upgrades for me would run, oh, about $20-25k. Quite possibly more.

I just don't think it's worth putting that kind of money into this home, sadly. :( Still need to update the kitchen, which is approximately the same $20k, I'd bet, to do it "right". And I'd still have 45 year old crumbling cheap Chinese sheetrock and similar plumbing and electric. <sigh>. I really just want a new house. Out in the country. With some land. Away from people.

Argh, God, I need a drink. This is the last thing I should be thinking about now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom