Getting fit - anyone else trying to turn it around?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow. So you’ve recently done it. Were you cycling with the extra 45lbs or did you lose it when you started? Did you change your diet also?
Lost the pounds along the way. It came off gradually (the only way it can work if you intend to keep it off) at about three pounds a month. Not really a change in diet, but a change in portion size. Portion control is my answer to weight loss (well, exercise is key, too). I'd eat most of what I've always ate, I'd just reduce the portion size by about a third. Substitute water for soda, fruit for candy bars, avoid booze, early to bed and early to rise. And plenty of riding....

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need to lose about 5 I’m on it…..ok maybe 10 since I seem to be shrinking 😳. Hope I don’t turn into mini-me😵

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have find out that posting a large picture of Rosie O'Donnell and Whoopi Goldberg to the wall of my working-out room help me stay motivated. This might not work for you.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have begun a rather controversial method of losing weight and getting my life back on track. I'm 48 years old, and for probably 40 of those years I've been the fat kid/guy. I've done every sort of diet known to man and had success with a few of them. Of course, that success only lasted for a short while and I would always gain back what I lost plus some. Sitting at 320 pounds and being only 5'8" I know that I'm on the track to a shortened lifespan.

So, on July 19th I had a gastric sleeve procedure to permanently change my relationship with food. Some people think this is an easy way out and they are more than welcome to their opinion/belief. But I know that after 40 years of not being successful in the "just eat less and move more" mindset on my own, I had to do something. When my mom died last year I realized that there isn't anyone in my family history that I know of that made it past 75 years old, so if I'm going to try to beat that record, I had to change something.

I'm down 30 pounds since the surgery and I'm losing about 1 pound a day currently. My ability to overeat has been all but eliminated and I'm being forced to make better food decisions. Decisions I couldn't make on my own. I'm happy with the results currently and I'm happy with my decision. More importantly, I'm happy that I've made a change that should make my life better and longer. What I'm not happy about is that it seems like most of the weight has come from my already non-existent b*tt, so my pants sag even more than normal. And that's just not right for a 48 year old white dude.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have begun a rather controversial method of losing weight and getting my life back on track. I'm 48 years old, and for probably 40 of those years I've been the fat kid/guy. I've done every sort of diet known to man and had success with a few of them. Of course, that success only lasted for a short while and I would always gain back what I lost plus some. Sitting at 320 pounds and being only 5'8" I know that I'm on the track to a shortened lifespan.

So, on July 19th I had a gastric sleeve procedure to permanently change my relationship with food. Some people think this is an easy way out and they are more than welcome to their opinion/belief. But I know that after 40 years of not being successful in the "just eat less and move more" mindset on my own, I had to do something. When my mom died last year I realized that there isn't anyone in my family history that I know of that made it past 75 years old, so if I'm going to try to beat that record, I had to change something.

I'm down 30 pounds since the surgery and I'm losing about 1 pound a day currently. My ability to overeat has been all but eliminated and I'm being forced to make better food decisions. Decisions I couldn't make on my own. I'm happy with the results currently and I'm happy with my decision. More importantly, I'm happy that I've made a change that should make my life better and longer. What I'm not happy about is that it seems like most of the weight has come from my already non-existent b*tt, so my pants sag even more than normal. And that's just not right for a 48 year old white dude.
You have to know yourself and what you’ll do, so however you get there is better than continuing an unhealthy lifestyle.

A simple exercise that you can do anywhere is the burpee or navy seal burpees. They work great. Also might put on a little muscle

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have to know yourself and what you’ll do, so however you get there is better than continuing an unhealthy lifestyle.

A simple exercise that you can do anywhere is the burpee or navy seal burpees. They work great. Also might put on a little muscle
I've done fairly well in the past working out, just never was able to lose the weight to make it noticeable. I joined a gym last night, actually. I'll only be able to go there for the cardio for a few more weeks, but once I'm all healed up and get my protein intake up so I have more energy, I'll be lifting weights again. It's my hope that I'll be able to reduce the saggy skin that a lot of people with my proportions end up having by increasing muscle. I'm sure I'll still have some, but I want to minimize it as much as possible.

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, here 's the deal. You have to have a reason that satisfies you for eating a good diet and exercising. Just getting healthy usually won't work in the long term. We all know that eating healthy and exercising will typically give us a better quality and maybe even quantity of life but it's not enough. Eating kale and drinking protein shakes simply isn't as satisfying as pizza and chocolate cake, it just isn't. Dragging yourself to the gym so you can lift heavy stuff and run on a treadmill is painful and unpleasant, sitting in your easy chair and watching a football game isn't. So far mostly negatives, right? We have all heard about the people dedicated to a fitness lifestyle dying early and the people who smoke, drink and pretty much live on fried food living long lives, right? Now we have an excuse for not inflicting those negatives onto ourselves. This is why you have to have a reason for diet and exercise that goes beyond health. Pick a reason you can dedicate yourself to and work from there.

Last edited:

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, here 's the deal. You have to have a reason that satisfies you for eating a good diet and exercising. Just getting healthy usually won't work in the long term. We all know that eating healthy and exercising will typically give us a better quality and maybe even quantity of life but it's not enough. Eating kale and drinking protein shakes simply isn't as satisfying as pizza and chocolate cake, it just isn't. Dragging yourself to the gym so you can lift heavy stuff and run on a treadmill is painful and unpleasant, sitting in your easy chair and watching a football game isn't. So far mostly negatives, right? We have all heard about the people dedicated to a fitness lifestyle dying early and the people who smoke, drink and pretty much live on fried food living long lives, right? Now we have an excuse for not inflicting those negatives onto ourselves. This why you have to have a reason for diet and exercise that goes beyond health. Pick a reason you can dedicate yourself to and work from there.
How about vanity?

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about vanity?
The reason for consistent long term diet and exercise is strictly up to each person. What is important enough to make a person choose a protein shake over pizza year after year. I dunno what it might be for any one person, I do know that the majority of the time it won't be a doctor telling them to change their lifestyle. People get hot on the IDEA of exercise and go cold just as fast. In my gym rat days I always hated January, the gym would be full of "New Years Resolution" people but at least I knew that by February things would be back to normal. Diet and exercise just for the sake of diet and exercise almost always fails. There has to be reason that makes the negatives worth the effort.

Latest posts

Top Bottom