Good shoot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustin98SS1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a neighbor that moved next door a few months ago that has 2 great danes. I have a smaller dog. As I was getting done walking my dog we were walking up the driveway when one of the great Danes jumped the fence and tried to get my dog. I went over to their house and explained what happened and they put up an electric fence.

Last night I took the trash out around 11pm and took my dog. He is always on a leash. Out of no where one of the great danes runs up to my dog trying to get it. Evidentially the neighbor lets them run loose for a bit at night. I said a few choice words and told him next time one of his dogs comes near me I will shoot it. I'm a dog person but I won't tolerate it. Would this be a good shoot? I'm in a residential neighborhood as well.

AckleyShooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in this situation at my home last year. After talking to some LEO's and a lawyer this is what I was told and what I did:

Call 911 to report a dog that attempted to attack and was running loose. Note the time and date of the call. (The police won't come unless the dog is actively a threat, so if the neighbors confine it quickly they won't come.)

Don't call, GO down to animal control and file a complaint. Most likely Tulsa has a leash law and your neighbor is in violation. When the animal control worker interviews them and they admit the dog got out, he will issue a warning or citation. (In my case the pit bull tried to bite me 3 times so they got a $187 fine.)

If they get a fine then you will have to show up at dog court to discuss what happened. (In my case, they didn't show and the judge found them guilty and let the record reflect that they were guilty of failure to confine a dog.)

Lastly, after you have called police and filed all necessary reports, take whatever means you deem appropriate to protect yourself from a vicious dog whose owner has a documented history of failure to confine. When the authorities arrive after you have taken action, give them copies of all the appropriate paperwork and make a simple statement that you were on your property when a vicious dog entered your property and you felt threatened. That's it, no more no less. (I haven't had to take this action yet as the owner wised up and realized what was about to happen.)

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Call animal control. Investigator's name is Jake Wilson. But you have to keep calling, as they are a difficult lot to get anything done with. Problem is, they don't answer the #$%^ing phone. If that's the case with you, try calling the Mayor's Action Center. If you do get them out, you can hit the owner in the pocket book ...

Dog at large ticket? cha-ching $.
Licensed? No? cha-ching.
Vaccinated? No? cha-ching $.
Spayed, neutered? No? cha-ching $.
Impounded dog? cha-ching $.

If you or your dog are bit or attacked, I would do whatever you have to do to defend yourself and call 911. I'm pretty sure Tulsa does not require an animal to bite before you can defend yourself (as told by a TPD officer). But of course you'd best be prepared to justify your actions if you do shoot. Shooting a toy poodle nipping at your heels likely will get you in hot water. I don't know much about large mastiffs like the dane, but from what I have heard they can and do bite. Any large dog that can get you on the ground can be extremely dangerous.

AckleyShooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hope everything works out for you. The last thing I want to do is take a dog's life but I have a 16-month old to protect as well as my wife and myself....that's an easy choice and since the initial incident I won't even take out trash without my pistol.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a absolute last resort if nothing else works and you don't want to be involved in a shooting... you can always confine your animals to the house [including any cats], then late at night set out a small bowl of antifreeze [on your property] where the beast can find it..then put it up early the next morning.
:

You ever promote poisoning animals and illegal behavior here again and you are going to have a problem

cw821

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't know Great Danes could be mean, but I guess any dog could be. The few I've been around were just big puppies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom