Good shoot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was attacked by a Great Dane a couple of years ago in Tulsa. Couldn't shoot because there was a car driving down the road on the other side of the dog. They are massive dogs with massive jaws and I would definitely shoot if one was acting aggressive towards me.

I'm currently having issues with my neighbors letting their pit bull out, so far I've been able to chunk some food to get it to go away... It's a very aggressive dog, but it's also very hungry. I would hate to kill someone's pet, but if they would follow the rules it wouldn't be a concern. I have two small children under 2 years old and definitely won't take any chances when it comes to them.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You ever promote poisoning animals and illegal behavior here again and you are going to have a problem

Fortunately most antifreeze is now made with Propylene Glycol instead of Ethylene Glycol and it's not very harmful to animals compared to the old stuff. Propylene Glycol is also used in Miracle Whip and shampoo.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was attacked by a Great Dane a couple of years ago in Tulsa. Couldn't shoot because there was a car driving down the road on the other side of the dog. They are massive dogs with massive jaws and I would definitely shoot if one was acting aggressive towards me.

I'm currently having issues with my neighbors letting their pit bull out, so far I've been able to chunk some food to get it to go away... It's a very aggressive dog, but it's also very hungry. I would hate to kill someone's pet, but if they would follow the rules it wouldn't be a concern. I have two small children under 2 years old and definitely won't take any chances when it comes to them.

Dont throw food at that dog anymore, you might not realize it but the dog see's you as a source for food now. You might of made your problem a little worse.The dog might be less aggressive towards you now, but hes gonna be coming bymore often expecting a treat. Spray him with mase next time he approaches you, this might give him a clear message to stay away from you.

AckleyShooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I agree with others, you shouldn't do this. If you don't want to shoot the dog then buy some pepper spray and give the dog a good coating. I mean GOOD coating. Spray him in the eyes and nose and keep spraying until he runs away. Don't be afraid to use a bunch.

You (or anyone) shouldn't feel bad about defending yourself from a dog. The total blame lies with the owners that allow these dogs to roam free.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in this situation at my home last year. After talking to some LEO's and a lawyer this is what I was told and what I did:

Call 911 to report a dog that attempted to attack and was running loose. Note the time and date of the call. (The police won't come unless the dog is actively a threat, so if the neighbors confine it quickly they won't come.)

Don't call, GO down to animal control and file a complaint. Most likely Tulsa has a leash law and your neighbor is in violation. When the animal control worker interviews them and they admit the dog got out, he will issue a warning or citation. (In my case the pit bull tried to bite me 3 times so they got a $187 fine.)

If they get a fine then you will have to show up at dog court to discuss what happened. (In my case, they didn't show and the judge found them guilty and let the record reflect that they were guilty of failure to confine a dog.)

Lastly, after you have called police and filed all necessary reports, take whatever means you deem appropriate to protect yourself from a vicious dog whose owner has a documented history of failure to confine. When the authorities arrive after you have taken action, give them copies of all the appropriate paperwork and make a simple statement that you were on your property when a vicious dog entered your property and you felt threatened. That's it, no more no less. (I haven't had to take this action yet as the owner wised up and realized what was about to happen.)

This is all great advice so long as the dog doesn't actually attack you before you can get it all accomplished. That's a lot of jumping through hoops but it probably is what would 100% CYA.

OP, are you sure the danes aren't just trying to play with your little dog? I have a redbone coonhound who, by nature, goes after anything little. That being said I also have a chihuahua that is less than 5 lbs and my redbone does run up to her quickly but stops short and just bounds around trying to play with her. Now I wont say they play nice, because they don't. My big dog is simply too big and even her lightest playful swipe with her paw will knock our little chihuahua around. What I am getting at is are you sure the danes have viscous intentions and aren't really just trying to play?

Play that can end up hurting someone via knocking them over may not be very different to a 16 month old but what I am saying is I think I would personally make a distinction depending upon the animals perceived intentions. I'd have a hard time shooting someone's pet when it didn't mean any harm, it just didn't get any attention at home.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The good legal process adivice is very good. The illegal stuff was comletely uncalled for... The bottom line is that everyone should control their dogs, or an animal they have...period! It is a shame that "system" has to be so slow and resistant to act.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can tell you from personal experience that pepper spray is not necessarily effective. I've seen a rottie shake off Sabre Red like it was just an annoyance. Not saying don't use it, just don't rely on it.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've thought about pepper spray, but I really don't want to make this very large pit bull mad. My main concern at this point is retaliation from the neighbors if I end up having to kill it. They're fairly shady people and I'm almost positive a dead dog would result in some flat tires or maybe some pot shots through my windows.

jhat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you shoot the dog you best tell the cops that you feared for your life or that of your wife or kids. I doubt that defense of dog would be lawful if done in a neighborhood full of homes, kids, etc. Discharging a firearm within the city limits better be done in defense of a person.

Latest posts

Top Bottom