Got a question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe S

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know that this is not a law office. However, I would like everyone's opinion on this section of the SDA.

TITLE 21 § 1289.13. Transporting a loaded firearm
TRANSPORTING A LOADED FIREARM
Except as otherwise provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or another provision of law, it shall be unlawful to transport a loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun in a land borne motor vehicle over a public highway or roadway. However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

Does this say that as long as you have a Concealed Carry license, you can transport a magazine loaded long gun in your car? Has anyone done this? Would anyone do this? Just wondering.

That quoted section comes out of the PDF on the OSBI website, FYI.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it but it does say that you can.

You can have a loaded mag in the gun without your CCL if the gun is in the trunk or a locked box outside the passenger compartment. (truck box?)

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know that this is not a law office. However, I would like everyone's opinion on this section of the SDA.

TITLE 21 § 1289.13. Transporting a loaded firearm
TRANSPORTING A LOADED FIREARM
. . .
Does this say that as long as you have a Concealed Carry license, you can transport a magazine loaded long gun in your car? . . .
That quoted section comes out of the PDF on the OSBI website, FYI.

"However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act."

Lots of very specific words there. If an individual with a SDA is contemplating utilizing it, I strongly advise that you REALLY understand exactly the provisions.

It is not part of the standard CLEET SDA curriculum. It is very easy to fail to grasp all the interlocking elements, any one of which could set the actor up for big problems.

Latest posts

Top Bottom