Got my recurve out for a change

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now I wanna hunt with it all season. I enjoy shooting it much more than my compound. I don't know why exactly... it just feels better...less rigid...less static.

crappy thing is it just my ethical range in half, almost. From 40 to 25yrds. I wish i could take it out for the rest of the season, but I need some meat in the freezer and don't want the lack of range be the reason for not harvesting. I'll just have fun with it in the backyard for now. sigh

goldflinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do, It is all I shoot. In fact, I will have it this weekend and leave the Thompson center at home. Have not used a muzzleloader for a couple of seasons. It is definitely the hard way, but very rewarding. Shooting a Toelke Whip long bow this year. Got both my sons shooting traditional. It is a great past time, and forces you to pick stands or ground blinds in places where you can get deer in your range. The odds are in the deers favor, but very gratifying once you connect. good luck with whatever methos you choose to use.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I still do, just not too often. Mostly a Hoyt Sky longbow, and a couple older Ben Pearson and Bear recurves. Made several self bows over the years and taken a couple of deer with them.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do, It is all I shoot. In fact, I will have it this weekend and leave the Thompson center at home. Have not used a muzzleloader for a couple of seasons. It is definitely the hard way, but very rewarding. Shooting a Toelke Whip long bow this year. Got both my sons shooting traditional. It is a great past time, and forces you to pick stands or ground blinds in places where you can get deer in your range. The odds are in the deers favor, but very gratifying once you connect. good luck with whatever methos you choose to use.

Great to hear you are exclusively trad bow hunting, and got your kids bit with by the trad bug too! I agree that the feeling after a trad harvest is extremely gratifying. Wish you luck this weekend and the rest of the season.

I still do, just not too often. Mostly a Hoyt Sky longbow, and a couple older Ben Pearson and Bear recurves. Made several self bows over the years and taken a couple of deer with them.

I think Ive seen pictures on this site of a bow you made out of osage orange. One of the limbs has knot in it! Thats a fantastic looking bow!

I'm shooting a blackwidow pch with ~500 grain arrows. I've got the afternoon off. I think ill fling a few in the back yard. I should be going hunting but I have an appointment around 5.

goldflinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, don't want to mislead you, I did not say "exclusively". Just that I will traditional bow hunt thru muzzleloading season. I still hunt during gun season with my rifle, but I often find myself with both my bow and gun in the stand. I will shoot at any deer in range with my bows, but usually only use the rifle in the event a "good buck" comes around. Not too often!! LOL

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You Have a Sky? I have a Sky T/D hunter recurve and Earl Hoyt autographed it to me at the factory right under the matte finish. They were great bows.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, don't want to mislead you, I did not say "exclusively". Just that I will traditional bow hunt thru muzzleloading season. I still hunt during gun season with my rifle, but I often find myself with both my bow and gun in the stand. I will shoot at any deer in range with my bows, but usually only use the rifle in the event a "good buck" comes around. Not too often!! LOL

Gotcha. I deer hunt with 12gauge slugs too.
Last year I let about a half dozen spikes, forks, and yearling does walk on public land. Then I missed some big bucks with my 12g. Was really kicking myself for not taking one of the little guys. I will probably shoot the first deer i see this year. and then get picky.

Latest posts

Top Bottom