Got my second 1911-- this one to carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmotulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
looks great hope it works well for you. i think im about to catch the 1911 bug myself....been looking at the para ordnance gun rights 5inch stainless model. ive heard there arent many left to buy so if i get one ill be holding on to it

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I carry one in a 4" felt a little more secure reliability wise. They are high on the sexy chart and the melting and bead blast jobs on them look sweet. Holster wear makes the finish mar and if you don't like it showing you may want to do the slide in Duracoat. You can get it in the same color as it is and the finish keeps getting stronger as it ages.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A friend told me its a good idea to change out the recoil spring ever 800 rounds on those ultra small 1911s.

I'll keep it in mind. Thanks.

Just be sure to give it a thorough live fire testing before staking your life on it. While this is certainly true of any gun you intend on carrying, yours has a couple of reasons that makes it increasingly more important than say one of the DA 'uber' pistols....
- it's a 1911
-it has a 3" barrel
-it's a Kimber

Yep, I'm working on it. I have another 100 rounds through it and knock on wood, so far, no problems whatsoever.

I carry one in a 4" felt a little more secure reliability wise. They are high on the sexy chart and the melting and bead blast jobs on them look sweet. Holster wear makes the finish mar and if you don't like it showing you may want to do the slide in Duracoat. You can get it in the same color as it is and the finish keeps getting stronger as it ages.

I struggled with whether to get the 3" or 4". I liked the feel of the 4" too and I still have a little doubt about which I'd prefer. But so far, my concern about the 3" reliably feeding hasn't been a problem. And the accuracy is fantastic as far as I'm concerned-- for a short barrel. I've been thinking about the wear of carrying, but I keep repeating to myself I bought it to carry. It's still pretty new and I'm definitely still babying it. I may look at the Duracoat. Have you done it? Where at if so?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Don't just keep it in mind, change it, and maybe when you order the replacement recoil spring, order a couple or 6. I have a 4" Kimber, and I have to change it by 800, or it starts jamming bad. I'd actually say 500-600 rounds. Especially if it will be a carry gun, don't wait until it starts jamming to change the spring. When your $6-700 gun jams repeatedly, it WILL piss you off, so change the spring and change it often. Cheap fix at less than $15.

Latest posts

Top Bottom