Governor Fallin signs Open Carry Senate Bill 1733 into law.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.news9.com/story/18426167/oklahoma-governor-signs-open-carry-bill-into-law

Also from the Governors office: http://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/newsroom/newsroom_article.php?id=223&article_id=7425

OKLAHOMA CITY - Governor Mary Fallin has signed into law Senate Bill 1733, a measure that allows Oklahoma citizens to openly carry firearms.

Governor Mary Fallin signed the legislation on Tuesday, May 15. The bill permits those who are licensed, or already have been licensed, to carry a firearm under the Oklahoma Self Defense Act to openly carry a weapon or conceal it. It also allows property owners to openly carry a firearm on their property without a concealed carry permit for the purpose of self defense.

To receive a license under the Oklahoma Self Defense Act, applicants must take a firearms safety and training course and submit to a background check by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation. Those convicted of felonies and certain misdemeanors may not receive a handgun license.

Oklahoma now joins Utah, North Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Indiana, Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Hawaii and Massachusetts as a "licensed open carry" state.

"As a strong supporter of the Second Amendment and a gun owner myself, I'm happy to sign this bill into law and grant law-abiding citizens the ability to openly carry firearms," Fallin said. "Senate Bill 1733 sends a strong message that Oklahoma values the rights of its citizens to defend themselves, their family and their property. It does so in a responsible way, by requiring those citizens who choose to ‘open carry' to undergo both firearms training and a background check."

Businesses may continue to prohibit firearms to be carried on their premises. SB 1733 prohibits carrying firearms on properties owned or leased by the city, state or federal government, at corrections facilities, in schools or college campuses, liquor stores and at sports arenas during sporting events.

Thor20003

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good news, however I think the article is incorrect in the last statement.

"SB 1733 prohibits carrying firearms on properties owned or leased by the city, state or federal government, at corrections facilities, in schools or college campuses, liquor stores and at sports arenas during sporting events."

Doesn't the law prohibit "in" properties owned by city or federal government? Also, since when is a liquor store prohibited. I think they misunderstand the law regarding establishments that "serve" alcohol as the majority of their business.

Or, maybe I missed a change to the law.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thor20003, I belive only buildings used for government functions.

A lot of gun shows take place in buildings owned by local governments.

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good news, however I think the article is incorrect in the last statement.

"SB 1733 prohibits carrying firearms on properties owned or leased by the city, state or federal government, at corrections facilities, in schools or college campuses, liquor stores and at sports arenas during sporting events."

Doesn't the law prohibit "in" properties owned by city or federal government? Also, since when is a liquor store prohibited. I think they misunderstand the law regarding establishments that "serve" alcohol as the majority of their business.

Or, maybe I missed a change to the law.

They are somewhat confused. Liquor stores are not prohibited. government property, school, ect..., they are correct with the on property.

Latest posts

Top Bottom