Gun belts- Overrated?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ya know, I think the whole deal of a heavy, thick gun belt may be a little overated. If I am gonna carry a full size pistol, then sure, I usually wear a heavy duty gun belt and a quality holster, either IWB or OWB. But if I am just going to wear an airweight J-frame or my Kahr PM9, I really don't need anything except my regular old belt from J.C. Penneys that holds my pants up. In fact; I have a plain old belt on right now and my Glock 19 is sitting IWB in a PJ Holster nice and tight to my side. 'Course, I am just wandering around the house for now and goofin' off in here with you folks. If I go out, I may change the rig; then again, I may not because this feels fine. Thoughts or comments on gun belts?

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's not *as* big of a deal when carrying IWB. Put that on OWB, and it's a whole 'nuther story.

Yes, you are absolutely right. I might get away with OWB on a plain belt with the Airweight or the PM9, but the Glock 19 size or larger? No way; gotta wear a gun belt. I should have clarified from the start.

SoonerShooter08

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't feel the need to own a ton of belts. I just need a brown belt and a black belt. Both of those are Looper Leather kydex reinforced gun belts. I use them whether I'm carrying or not so no issues. It's a lot easier for a good gun belt to be used in place of a regular belt than the other way around. Plus, if I've got several hundred dollars of gun and holster hanging on my hip then what's $50 or so more for a good belt. Gun belt or not, I'm a fan of good workmanship and good looking leather. JC Penney doesn't cut it, but that's personal preference.

thefenux

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I think the gun belt makes a *huge* difference in comfort, even with my Glock 19 that weighs in just under 2 lbs fully loaded. I prefer a web belt myself over a leather belt for the extra adjustabiltity (gun belt or not).

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Plus, if I've got several hundred dollars of gun and holster hanging on my hip then what's $50 or so more for a good belt. Gun belt or not, I'm a fan of good workmanship and good looking leather. JC Penney doesn't cut it, but that's personal preference.

This about sums up how I feel also. Except for the rag on Penney's, you been in there lately? They have plenty of nice stuff though it is the "inspect it before you buy it" kind of stuff to make sure one sleeve isn't shorter than the other or some other defect.

I don't ever carry OWB as I never really wear a "cover garment" I am 25 and vests aren't cool at 25. I'm not about to wear a jacket as warm as its been getting so for me its IWB or ankle. no OWB here. I've got a brown Levi belt that's about 1/8" thick and about 1.5" wide and it works great. When I buy my first real gun belt it will probably be something $50-$100 and probably custom made. I really like what this guy is doing.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a $10 belt I bought from Old Navy 2 years ago and I still carry with it. I only carry IWB myself. Like ripbnst said, vests aren't cool in your 20's (or ever I don't think) and a jacket is just crazy in this weather. I carry either a Ruger sr9c or an LCP. The LCP has been getting the nod lately since its warming up. With my little maverick IWB holster, i can't even tell the thing is there half the time.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good belt will keep the gun from sagging into your hip. I tote a steel Govt Model or a Glock 19 most of the time. The weight it one thing... but when the muzzle sags and hits the hot button that sets off the sciatica that's something else.

Good holsters and a good foundation are a must to bear weight and keep the weight stable on the pelvis. I have gotten away with good "western belts" but my current one is stretching out after 5 years of daily use. I will probably replace it with Filson or a couple of Loopers.
I like a Black hawk riggers belt too... but they sorta scream out "rent-a-cop".

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Eh, they're probably a luxury you don't need if you have a sturdy enough belt. I wear an old leather Levi's belt everyday for IWB carry and OC when I'm out shooting and I've never had any trouble.

Latest posts

Top Bottom