Gun belts- Overrated?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't feel the need to own a ton of belts. I just need a brown belt and a black belt. Both of those are Looper Leather kydex reinforced gun belts. I use them whether I'm carrying or not so no issues. It's a lot easier for a good gun belt to be used in place of a regular belt than the other way around. Plus, if I've got several hundred dollars of gun and holster hanging on my hip then what's $50 or so more for a good belt. Gun belt or not, I'm a fan of good workmanship and good looking leather. JC Penney doesn't cut it, but that's personal preference.

Oh I like Looper Belts too; I have two of them myself; 1 brown, 1 black. But when I am wearing a suit, or slacks and a sportcoat, the rough-looking Looper belts just don't cut it. With jeans or such, they are fine, but when dressed up, a more dressy belt is required, whether from Penny's or Abercrombie and *****.

SoonerShooter08

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My suit goes with a black belt and the looper I have is definitely not rough. It's solid black with a tasteful chrome square buckle. Pretty much goes with anything.

I should also say that I carry a fullsize Glock 22C usually along with a spare mag on weak side. The gun belt makes a difference in this case. The biggest benefit is rigidity and the fact that it doesn't stretch.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My suit goes with a black belt and the looper I have is definitely not rough. It's solid black with a tasteful chrome square buckle. Pretty much goes with anything.

I should also say that I carry a fullsize Glock 22C usually along with a spare mag on weak side. The gun belt makes a difference in this case. The biggest benefit is rigidity and the fact that it doesn't stretch.

Well, I do believe you are 100% correct in wearing a good gun belt with that big old Glock 22 and a spare mag hanging off your hip. But take a look at my initial post...about full size vs. J-frames; PM9. Say; what holster do you like for that G22 anyway?

SoonerShooter08

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll be honest in that I'm often overkill and over prepared when it comes to gear selection. For a lightweight subcompact, any belt is probably fine. I didn't mean to come off as saying it was wrong to never wear a gun belt. In a lot of cases, it helps though and I'm one of those "more is better" people.

As far as gun leather, my Glock 22 rides in a horsehide Milt Sparks VM2 with sharkskin trim. With long wait times for Milt Sparks holsters go big or go home.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

I've only ever had one belt - a Wilderness 5 stitch - and it has worked great. It is not limited to holes for adjustment and just works great. Supports the weight of a CTAC/G19 comfortably. It does everything I ask.

Thanks,

Alan

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a crossbreed belt with the Velcro on the inside along with the v-clips for the holster. This allows me to tuck in my shirt with no clips showing at all. Really like it and I don't even remember what I paid but it was worth every penny.

Shakkazombie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing I'll say is this: I used a regular leather belt for OWB while at the range, and over the course of a year, I shredded that thing up pretty good. I payed a little extra for a belt that will better support my holster, but that I can also wear to the office when I'm not carrying, and I've been really pleased. I think you would replicate the cost of buying a "gun belt" by having to buy new belts every time you ruined one that wasn't suited to the task.

Latest posts

Top Bottom