Gun safe for an apartment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a modular safe when I was in a 3rd floor apartment. Bringing it in was inconspicuous and I wouldnt ask for permission to at the very least screw it to the floor. You wont be able to see the holes in the carpet and as far as I am concerned what they dont know wont hurt them.
Get a big one that wont fit through the door once assembled and that would help things too. I sold it to a friend when I moved out and it is now held captive by smaller doorways at his place. Every bit helps!

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do like the job box idea. They're cheaper, more inconspicuous, and easier to move than a gun safe. Not to mention extremely hard to break into. Line the interior with sheetrock, glue some foam or automotive carpet to the in interior, slap a dehumidifier in there, and you have a safe. They're a pain to move empty, if it was full of ammo and guns it isn't gonna go anywhere. You could always cable lock it to another piece of furniture if you're really worried about it walking away. Also, with a little ingenuity, you could always make a wooden crate to cover wrap around the exterior so it looks more like a regular chest and match the decor. also, at the end of the day, if you get a house or whatever, the box can be used for lots of other things after you get a safe.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a modular safe when I was in a 3rd floor apartment. Bringing it in was inconspicuous and I wouldnt ask for permission to at the very least screw it to the floor. You wont be able to see the holes in the carpet and as far as I am concerned what they dont know wont hurt them.
Get a big one that wont fit through the door once assembled and that would help things too. I sold it to a friend when I moved out and it is now held captive by smaller doorways at his place. Every bit helps!
Do you buy the pieces all at once, or is it something you can add to as the collection grows?

The latter sounds pretty cool IMO.
:drunk2:

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All in one...I want to say the body was 6 pueces....then you install the fireproofing and shelving/lining. Came in 3 or 4 boxes that were big but "flat" like only 3-4" thick and all bolts were on inside. It was pretty ideal for the situation.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm... I guess you could also buy multiple small capacity safes, and bolt them together into one unit for expansion.

Might have to get creative with door/window deterrents until it gets to big to move though. Perhaps build 'em into a large "L" or "U" shape unit eventually?

Meh, just a thought. :drunk2:

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Make sure your renter's insurance covers your firearms from theft/fire. If not, get a rider. You DO have renter's insurance, right?

Get a modular/removable alarm system like SimpliSafe. Nothing like a 105db siren to alter a burglar's plans. Put it outside on the balcony on the other side of a locked balcony door (assuming it has a keyed deadbolt) or be creative to put it out of easy reachability.

If you are discovered creating holes in the carpet or put runners in it by pulling out strands when you drill, You might be forced to pay the expense of replacing the carpet in the whole room.

Consider getting a safe deposit box to put some of your collection (pistols) in and only keep what you need for home defense in the apartment.

As mentioned, modular safes like a Dakota aren't bad and some are over 500 lbs. when put together. Not easily taken from a 3rd floor apartment. Coupled with an alarm is even better.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Make sure your renter's insurance covers your firearms from theft/fire. If not, get a rider. You DO have renter's insurance, right?

Get a modular/removable alarm system like SimpliSafe. Nothing like a 105db siren to alter a burglar's plans. Put it outside on the balcony on the other side of a locked balcony door (assuming it has a keyed deadbolt) or be creative to put it out of easy reachability.

If you are discovered creating holes in the carpet or put runners in it by pulling out strands when you drill, You might be forced to pay the expense of replacing the carpet in the whole room.

Consider getting a safe deposit box to put some of your collection (pistols) in and only keep what you need for home defense in the apartment.

As mentioned, modular safes like a Dakota aren't bad and some are over 500 lbs. when put together. Not easily taken from a 3rd floor apartment. Coupled with an alarm is even better.
I do. I have to review it and then catalog my collection (three pistols and one AR, soon to be two.)
IIRC, when I finally leave the apartment, they are going to do a complete renovation. They've been doing it to all occupied apartments once they are vacated as the present owners only bought the complex in late 2019, IIRC.

Latest posts

Top Bottom