Any safe recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panayoti

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem with high fire rating safes is moisture inside the safe turning to condensation and rust. Last time I researched it security vs fire rating were mutually exclusive

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've kept gun safes in unheated/cooled garages and shops for years and years and never had a problem with rust. It it's humid, put in a dehumidifier rod. My gun safes lived in an office in my shop that really wasn't heated or cooled for 3 years when I lived in Olustee. Never had a problem. I had a little digital temp/humidity thing in both safes. I don't recall ever seeing the RH in either one over about 48%. Just take care of your stuff.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've kept gun safes in unheated/cooled garages and shops for years and years and never had a problem with rust. It it's humid, put in a dehumidifier rod. My gun safes lived in an office in my shop that really wasn't heated or cooled for 3 years when I lived in Olustee. Never had a problem. I had a little digital temp/humidity thing in both safes. I don't recall ever seeing the RH in either one over about 48%. Just take care of your stuff.
Same experience

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Same here. One of mine has an alarm on humidity. Never has been activated. Good Heating Rods and a container of Damp Rid on top shelf. It collects the moisture that the Golden Rods causes to rise to the top.

If a guy has a lot of Wood Stock Rifles and Wood Grip Pistols you need to keep the humidity correct. Around 30% to 40% to stave off drying the wood out and cracks.

I have never had an issue on to dry or to moist with Golden Rods and Damp Rid on top shelf.

Also the Damp Rid small containers are refillable and can be emptied when needed.

IMG_7838.jpeg

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same here. One of mine has an alarm on humidity. Never has been activated. Good Heating Rods and a container of Damp Rid on top shelf. It collects the moisture that the Golden Rods causes to rise to the top.

If a guy has a lot of Wood Stock Rifles and Wood Grip Pistols you need to keep the humidity correct. Around 30% to 40% to stave off drying the wood out and cracks.

I have never had an issue on to dry or to moist with Golden Rods and Damp Rid on top shelf.

Also the Damp Rid small containers are refillable and can be emptied when needed.

View attachment 409401
I never bother with golden rods. No way to use them in mine anyway. I just used a big desiccant canisters and dried them out again in the oven once a month. Had mine in my garage for 10 years.

A coworker had issues with rust with his indoors in his closet, in climate controlled env… it’s a bit weird.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It weighs 574 pounds so the metal is definitely there.
The weak points on gun safes is their floor. Most don't anchor them properly so a truck with a chain easily tips them over. Then a battery powered abrasive cut off saw opens up the 1/8" thick steel floor so all the contents can be removed from the bottom without having to open the door.
Use the heaviest anchors you can find even if you need to go to an industrial rental place and rent a tool for the job. Put extra large hardened fender washers under the bolt heads to spread the force into a larger area for maximum holding power.
There is no anchor system that can’t be defeated. Your task is to make it incredibly difficult to buy time.
Put a security cam that is hidden looking right at your safe to take advantage of that additional time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom