Any safe recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's your budget? I gotta say, if you're protecting life's memories, I'd buy the best safe you can afford.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to trust an $800 safe to secure a gun collection or other valuables worth 5 or 10 times that much. But, if that's what you can afford then I understand that, too. I have one of those. It's a Liberty I bought a few years ago from Tractor Supply. Big, roomy safe for like 50-ish guns. But, yeah...the good stuff doesn't live in it. It's much bigger than the AmSec safe I have and weighs half as much with a really flimsy interior.

Personally, I think the American Security burglary/fire rated safes are some of the best, but they're very expensive. I have one that's roughly 60"Hx30"Wx27"D I bought used (like new) for $900. The same safe new is about $6000. I was just lucky my buddy couldn't get it out of his house and was in a rush to sell it when his house sold. Of course, I also bought it several years ago. But these are nothing like the Tractor Supply or Atwoods or other big box models. Mine weighs almost 1200 lbs empty.

I hate shopping for safes because I'd rather spend the money on guns. But it's a necessary cost of having the hobby.

One other thing...almost all of the lower end, budget safes are made in China. That was a definite deal killer for me.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's your budget? I gotta say, if you're protecting life's memories, I'd buy the best safe you can afford.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to trust an $800 safe to secure a gun collection or other valuables worth 5 or 10 times that much. But, if that's what you can afford then I understand that, too. I have one of those. It's a Liberty I bought a few years ago from Tractor Supply. Big, roomy safe for like 50-ish guns. But, yeah...the good stuff doesn't live in it. It's much bigger than the AmSec safe I have and weighs half as much with a really flimsy interior.

Personally, I think the American Security burglary/fire rated safes are some of the best, but they're very expensive. I have one that's roughly 60"Hx30"Wx27"D I bought used (like new) for $900. The same safe new is about $6000. I was just lucky my buddy couldn't get it out of his house and was in a rush to sell it when his house sold. Of course, I also bought it several years ago. But these are nothing like the Tractor Supply or Atwoods or other big box models. Mine weighs almost 1200 lbs empty.

I hate shopping for safes because I'd rather spend the money on guns. But it's a necessary cost of having the hobby.

One other thing...almost all of the lower end, budget safes are made in China. That was a definite deal killer for me.

Only brand I use. American Security.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My nephew worked for a locksmith for 12 years, I reached out to him and he replied back. Hope this helps a little.

Attachments

• IMG_5572.jpeg
    IMG_5572.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5573.jpeg
    IMG_5573.jpeg
    238.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5574.jpeg
    IMG_5574.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 0

jtmcglothin

You’ve got a fren in me
Special Hen
Reaction score
My nephew worked for a locksmith for 12 years, I reached out to him and he replied back. Hope this helps a little.
I appreciate it bud. I’ve started looking at other options so I appreciate the info and feedback on things to look for. It seems like a general consensus that the dial mechanism is the best but if I do go with digital I would definitely want a failsafe key. I’ll let y’all know what I finally land on.

I appreciate all the advice given on the subject, y’all are a good group of folks. Well, most of you anyways. 🤪

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mayfair lock and key usually has used safes there. May call or look there.

It’s usually not rocket science to turn a safe into a gun safe…

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate it bud. I’ve started looking at other options so I appreciate the info and feedback on things to look for. It seems like a general consensus that the dial mechanism is the best but if I do go with digital I would definitely want a failsafe key. I’ll let y’all know what I finally land on.

I appreciate all the advice given on the subject, y’all are a good group of folks. Well, most of you anyways. 🤪
As far as your last paragraph goes, my mammy told me “son, at least you can always serve as a bad example”.

RC2469

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want a safe, look into safe ratings. Most gun safes are light and easily defeated. UL safes with TRTL30x6, TRTL30x6, or even TXTL60x6 ratings will protect your stuff like no other safe.

TRTL = torch and tool resistant. TXTL is torch, tool, and explosive resistant. 30 and 60 are minutes they can stand up to the attacks. x6 means the protection is on all 6 sides of the safe.

Be aware a safe with these rating that could hold multiple long guns will start at 4,000 lbs and can go well over 10,000 pounds. Used units costs $5k plus. I've seen new units over $75k. I'm still waiting on the lottery.

Latest posts

Top Bottom