Gun safe rec's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Some of you have made the comment that thieves will see a safe as a challenge, and go to the trouble of using tools and such to try and open it. I can see how that'd be the case where a thief knew he had time and a low risk of being discovered - as in, he knows the homeowner well enough to know no one will be home for a while. But I can't imagine this would be the case where a thief picks a random house to break into to try and grab high-dollar items and get out of there fast. If such a thief comes across a bolted-down safe, wouldn't they make a quick attempt to open it, and if that fails move on to easier pickings?
This breed of people are stupid. A quick attemp to open it while its setting in a garage next to a crow bar and sledge might be to pound or pry on the digital keypad/tumbler dial hoping it will pop open. While we all know that wont happen, we are smarter than the average degenerate.

Last edited:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Also I wouldn't put a safe in my garage unless it was behind another door hidden. An open garage advertises to whomever drives by that you have a safe. I work with a guy who had a safe in his garage. Someone broke in, found the safe, backed their van in the garage and closed the door to stay under the radar. They then used his pry bar or something to pry the safe off the floor, used his 2 wheeler dolly to move it to the rear of the van and loaded it and left.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will agree with the others, buy one bigger than you think you will need. It comes in handy for storing all kinds of things. Insurance papers, deeds, computer files, coin collections, knives, ammo, extra keys, all types of things. Even useless items such as jewelry will find its way in there. Bolt it to the floor and also bolt it to the wall. I wouldn't put it in the garage unless that's the only place you have. I had a bear safe with the key lock feature, and it wasn't much of a hassle. I considered it very secure. Buy one bigger than you think you will need. I repeated it for your benefit. It will fill up quickly.

I read about one guy that got one of those long, steel, construction job site toolboxes, put about 2000 pounds of lead in the bottom of it, then put his guns on top of the lead. It had double locks and it sat in his living room, covered up, just like a coffee table. No one ever knew any different.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another reason a garage is not a good location is that most are not climate controlled. Hot/cold cycles of weather along with humidity requires more maintenance on your collection.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keep a safe in my garage. It is tied to my alarm system. It is sensitive enough to where I couldn't have my home alarm set and start my 73 corvette without setting the alarm off. All of the guns stored in this safe are stored in anti-corrosion bags. I have not had a problem yet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom