Half of Texas Wind Turbines Freeze, Hurting Electricity Output

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think that the problem is new technology or new ways to do things.

My problem is when someone says "you will replace existing working technology and methods in 10 years with unproven technology and methods, period. Doesn't matter if the new pathway works or not, or is more expensive, but 10 years from now, it will be all you can use".

Much different is a new technology is so good that it gradually replaces an older technology and is proven along the way.
That's like that time in May of 1961 when Kennedy said that we were going to land a man on the moon by the end of the 60s. What the heck? We didn't have technology for that? How on Earth (hahahaha) were we going to land a man on the moon?

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Without question? You want to ignore the demonstrated past history where aid was withheld in previous disasters by someone and then say without question that he'd be on top of this one? When the facts are that the current administration got the request for a disaster declaration Saturday and approved it Sunday. No delay, on the weekend.

In case you are curious, which you don't seem to be since all of this is literally seconds away on Google, that declaration is what STARTS the process for FEMA and other aid: https://www.fema.gov/pdf/rrr/dec_proc.pdf

And currently they are working with the state as needed: https://www.fema.gov/node/613509

Memes are great when truthful. When carved from deceit they are the stumbling blocks of our society. How many people bought that? How many people now have misinformed ideas? Huh? Don't tell me to lighten up because I want to believe that we are better than that.

yet more BS .. FACT based on how Trump handled previous crisis. FEMA and NG would already been on the ground helping folks out. who gives a flying F what paperwork are in route? what counts is help on the ground right NOW! folks are freezing right NOW .. do you think they give a rats ass paperwork has been approved?

amazing how all you folks with TDS are able to tune out reality. Trump won Nov 3 by a landslide. Election was stolen with dementia Biden installed. some 3/4 of registered voters, GOP and Dems (aka uni-party) think that election was stolen.

like it or not President Trump flat got the job done, while fighting the entire establishment at same time.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope you live long enough to be proven wrong my friend.

We would have never made it to the moon with that outlook.

I agree. I'm a fan of the smaller single dwelling type turbines. Something that you'd put up on a business or home. They do have a new wind powered friction generator though. Looks like a lamp post, placed along side the roads.

No one will ever live long enough for me to be proved wrong on wind.

Wind is not the answer.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, windmills exist in cold areas yet don't have the problems tx has. We live in the Saudi Arabia of wind, to try to not hardness that for power is just dumb. To only try to depend on that is also dumb.
Props can work in winter, otherwise, air planes couldn't fly most the time, much less at high altitudes. Deicing was solved a very long time ago. Tx chose not to use it.

I'm just glad TX isn't on the grid with SPP. Their problem would have been our problem.
I saw an article on deicing turbines, but I don't recall if it was here or elsewhere. They do have the technology to do it, and there are wind farms in Canada that use it, but it is not without cost. In addition to the cost of installation, it also reduces the efficiency of the turbines (I think the article said 10-12%). That's going to present a pretty significant cost to offset something that almost never happens in Texas.

FWIW, according to the map I saw, it looks like Amarillo, Lubbock, Texarkana, and Tyler are on SPP. I wonder if they fared better than the ERCOT parts of Texas?

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's like that time in May of 1961 when Kennedy said that we were going to land a man on the moon by the end of the 60s. What the heck? We didn't have technology for that? How on Earth (hahahaha) were we going to land a man on the moon?

Yet we didn't just start shooting people out into the atmosphere did we?

It's okay to have a goal. Goals are good. Goals spur innovation. Forcing something on to the citizens, for something as critical as power that isn't sustainable or that can't pay for itself is foolish.

Wind is to power as ethanol is to gasoline.

Ethanol consumes more energy being produced than it replaces. It's a net loss. Wind is exactly the same. It uses more energy than it produces.

Last edited:

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yet more BS .. FACT based on how Trump handled previous crisis. FEMA and NG would already been on the ground helping folks out. who gives a flying F what paperwork are in route? what counts is help on the ground right NOW! folks are freezing right NOW .. do you think they give a rats ass paperwork has been approved?

amazing how all you folks with TDS are able to tune out reality. Trump won Nov 3 by a landslide. Election was stolen with dementia Biden installed. some 3/4 of registered voters, GOP and Dems (aka uni-party) think that election was stolen.

like it or not President Trump flat got the job done, while fighting the entire establishment at same time.
You know what, I'm just going to say you're right. I don't know how I could have been so mistaken. He did everything perfectly. From stopping the Rona in it's tracks and having it disappeared like a miracle by Easter to creating all those jobs.

You're right about the Dems too. Shame that the Democrats were so smart that they could steal the election. I mean, smart enough to steal it from him specifically, and not all those critical house and senate races on the same ballot.

Finally, you're right about Texas. Biden should send in the feds without being asked. That's EXACTLY the kind of thing that a state with a bill in their legislature about seceding from the Union would like. He should mobilize and send them out because he knows better how to distribute resources in their state.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wind is to power as ethanol is to gasoline.

Ethanol consumes more energy being produced than it replaces. It's a net loss. Wind is exactly the same. It uses more energy than it produces.

They're not comparable. I agree with you on ethanol. The loss of power equates adding more emissions to the atmosphere. Wind on the other hand has been the answer to power for thousands of years. It has powered industrial revolutions, it pumps water out of the ground, without the humble power of wind to move massive ships, there wouldn't be a United States today. It's just being applied to a new medium. Imagine if Edison had given up on the light bulb after 999 attempts. We might still be burning candles.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They're not comparable. I agree with you on ethanol. The loss of power equates adding more emissions to the atmosphere. Wind on the other hand has been the answer to power for thousands of years. It has powered industrial revolutions, it pumps water out of the ground, without the humble power of wind to move massive ships, there wouldn't be a United States today. It's just being applied to a new medium. Imagine if Edison had given up on the light bulb after 999 attempts. We might still be burning candles.

Wind is not the answer. It uses more power in it's construction, maintenance and disposal than it can produce in a life time.

If you believe otherwise, I'm just not sure what to tell you.

Yes, it has been used for centuries, it is ancient technology. It is not the answer for supplying the power grid, or even providing a serious supplement, for 400 million people. It never will be.

You're free to think otherwise.

Latest posts

Top Bottom