Has this been discussed here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No you do not
Unless you are detained. Cop can say you look suspicious & I think you could be about to break in a car, (or whatever made up crime). Unlike Texas, in Ok you have to ID even if just detained, even in public & not doing anything illegal. Charge would prob be obstruction.

Last edited:

Coug91

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless you are detained. Cop can say you look suspicious & I think you could be about to break in a car, (or whatever made up crime). Unlike Texas, in Ok you have to ID even if just detained, even in public & not doing anything illegal. Charge would prob be obstruction.
Link to citation?

Coug91

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.bryanterrill.com/do-i-have-to-show-my-id-to-police/

Found this online. Might be old, but not a lot out there on the subject.
Certainly not as clear as Tx statutes.
Yes, is from 2014. Links I posted were from 2020 and 2024. They say the same thing.
Sometimes statutes tell you what you can do by not telling getting you what you can't do. The motor vehicle statute on provide ID while driving only applies while operating a motor vehicle, so if you're not operating a motor vehicle, there is no requirement to ID.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, is from 2014. Links I posted were from 2020 and 2024. They say the same thing.
Sometimes statutes tell you what you can do by not telling getting you what you can't do. The motor vehicle statute on provide ID while driving only applies while operating a motor vehicle, so if you're not operating a motor vehicle, there is no requirement to ID.
Unless you are detained.

Coug91

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless you are detained.
And went were you detained? What reasonable and articulatable cause? If the officer lacks that, then he can piss off. Unless he's like these dicks, then you'll taste asphalt she'd have grounds for civil rights suit under 18-242.
Why is this so hard to understand?

Attachments

• IMG_0985.jpeg
    IMG_0985.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And went were you detained? What reasonable and articulatable cause? If the officer lacks that, then he can piss off. Unless he's like these dicks, then you'll taste asphalt she'd have grounds for civil rights suit under 18-242.
Why is this so hard to understand?
My point is that it’s different & less clear than Tx. In OK, you have to ID even if detained. I think this is ripe for abuse for obvious reasons.
Sure you can fight it in court. But you can be right & still lose. Have an arrest record & lots of lawyer $$$bills. So in OK, they have us over a barrel, regarding “show us your papers”

Coug91

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My point is that it’s different & less clear than Tx. In OK, you have to ID even if detained. I think this is ripe for abuse for obvious reasons.
Sure you can fight it in court. But you can be right & still lose. Have an arrest record & lots of lawyer $$$bills. So in OK, they have us over a barrel, regarding “show us your papers”
Again, citation ? If you're walking, you're not driving.

Latest posts

Top Bottom