Has this been discussed here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
US. 18 isn’t an ok statute & not specific to failing to identify.
Stop & ID can vary from state to state. Even states with stop & ID they still need reasonable suspicion to demand ID.
I’m looking for a Texas type ID law like 38.02 that clearly defines that you only have to ID If arrested. Reasonable suspicion is pretty gray & if cops can demand ID for simple detention, it’s truly a “show me your papers” situation.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the cops are out of line all time. However, this doesn't seem that bad to me. Early morning hours, dude with a kid in alley. Asks the man to identify himself. Creeps have been caught that way. If I were a cop I would probably look into it if I saw it. Might handle it better but doesn't seem too crazy to me.
No, absolutely not. It sets a whole new precedence that invades your rights. IDGAS what time of day or night it is, I have the right to be out walking with my son without being stopped just to see if I am committing a crime. Now, if I was running, carrying a crowbar and a TV, different story.
DUI checkpoints are the same, violation of rights.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would be good to have a statute to refer to.
There is no statute because Oklahoma has no requirement to ID if you're not operating a vehicle. Weirdly, Title 47 of the vehicle motor code states that "vehicle" is defined in Oklahoma as pretty much anything you can ride. Car, truck, tractor, lawn mower, bicycle, skateboard, etc... in which case, police may ID you practically at will and failure to give that information is an arrestable offense - AKA - stop and identify without calling it that.

Coug91

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
US. 18 isn’t an ok statute & not specific to failing to identify.
Stop & ID can vary from state to state. Even states with stop & ID they still need reasonable suspicion to demand ID.
I’m looking for a Texas type ID law like 38.02 that clearly defines that you only have to ID If arrested. Reasonable suspicion is pretty gray & if cops can demand ID for simple detention, it’s truly a “show me your papers” situation.
There isn't one. That's why 18-242 applies. To the officers in the video.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There isn't one. That's why 18-242 applies. To the officers in the video.
But if you are only detained & then get arrested because you didn’t ID, what penal code are you charged with? Failure to ID? Is there a statute for that?

Isn’t 18-242 a law that protects the citizens from violations of civil rights? That would be in a lawsuit against the cop after the fact.

Coug91

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But if you are only detained & then get arrested because you didn’t ID, what penal code are you charged with? Failure to ID? Is there a statute for that?

Isn’t 18-242 a law that protects the citizens from violations of civil rights? That would be in a lawsuit against the cop after the fact.
That’s pretty much what I just said about 18-242.
The ID statute applies when operating a motor vehicle. This guy was walking. So 18-242 could come into play if the walker decided to get a later and sue the popo.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s pretty much what I just said about 18-242.
The ID statute applies when operating a motor vehicle. This guy was walking. So 18-242 could come into play if the walker decided to get a later and sue the popo.
Ok, so if I’m lawfully walking in public & a cop demands ID, do I legally have to comply? That’s my question. Apparently it’s a gray area in OK.
TX law 38.02 says no.

Coug91

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so if I’m lawfully walking in public & a cop demands ID, do I legally have to comply? That’s my question. Apparently it’s a gray area in OK.
TX law 38.02 says no.
Unless the cup is like the cops in the video, then you’re going to taste asphalt. ;-)

Latest posts

Top Bottom