Have you lost interest in guns?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve lost the free time, not the interest. Friggin kids took all my time and gave me everything I didn’t know I wanted. I feel for those that can’t due to physical limitations though. I watched my dad go through that and hated it for him. Hopefully 6arc or some other low recoil round gets you back into it.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I retired from the military and bought a house in town for the kids to be in the same school and not move around. My limitation now is that I dont have a place locally to shoot/hunt. Had several places around my last place where the land owner gave permission to shoot and hog/coyote hunt anytime I wanted.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Havent lost interest but the bank account has slowed me way down with the cost of everything and knowing im not willing to pay the prices of replacing what ammo and components i have and planning on a house build takes first priority on the bank account. Even thou a few months ago i did purchase a TC Contender with 5 barrels that i should have passed on but thought it would be a good investment.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I too am sorta disenchanted with firearms lately. Part of it is because of fashion. What's popular one minute isn't the next. Seems like the market is flooded right now with the latest and greatest 9mm.

I can remember shortly after the Miami shootout, the 9mm cartridge was hated by damn near everyone, myself included. Nowadays you see die-hard .45 guys like Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathorn shooting 9mm. WTF? :ugh2:

But getting back on track...

After 35+ years of carrying a gun whenever I'm vertical, it has become more of a burden and hassle to me lately. Nothing new down the pike has really caught my attention and with today's technology, seems like all handgun rounds are created equal. So nowadays, I carry damn near the smallest pistol I can, because as I age, ounces become pounds and yeah, it's lost it's luster with me. :disappoin
Here's an odd one for you, I've never shot a pistol in 9mm lol. Just in an AR upper. :) :)

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't lost interest in guns. I still want pretty much every one I see. But I have sorta lost interest in shooting as often as I once did. It's not as fun for some reason. I haven't really figured out why, exactly.
This is me also.

I only live about ten minutes from the range and have got plenty of loaded ammo and components on hand to make more but for some reason I have only been to the range twice so far this year and ran 100 rounds 45ACP through a couple of my 1911's each time.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Still like to shoot, reload, and buy one every now and then. Can't shoot like I used to, can't buy as many, and I hurt more. But I still try. In 1979 I won an Okla. state championship, then a few years later I ripped the cornea in my shooting eye all to hell, then a mean ole' stud horse tried to kill me, but only broke my neck in 2 places, blew a disk in my back, and developed a fondness for bourbon, good or bad. Couple years ago I exploded my ankle, and after 2 surgeries they wanted to take my leg cause of infection. Now they say 2 more surgeries and I'll be walking like new, but they would like to examine me for brain damage from the fall. Nope. Not going to do it. I'm going with what I got, thank you and goodbye. I was never a tough guy, but I've seen them, kids I've met in hospitals, and old people walking to work or pushing a cart, with a horrible limp, in real pain. So don't give up, do what you love. And what I've been loving lately is a Sig P210, kinda pricey for me, but one day I'll git er done. I hope I go out and do a little shooting, the day before I die.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need to get off my arse and get back to it. Even have a fancy electric clay bird thrower I was given for a bday present I’ve never used. What I’d like to do is radically thin out the herd. I have WAY more then I’d like to take care of now and the idea of selling off half of them and getting myself a really, really nice gun or two is sounding better and better.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
couple thoughts on the subject;

1. it's important as you age to keep hobbies up, particularly hobbies that get you out and about...if you find yourself losing interest, it might be helpful to find more group activities....competitons or friendly outings with others....i know the OKC gun club has a few things going on, and paul heckler does an old-fashioned bolt action shoot every once in a while...

2. Cost is a big thing...seems like the whole Ukraine thing, gunbroker etc really drove up the price of guns that used to be cheap...it's no longer a poor man's sport and seems to suffer from gentrification.

3. for me personally, it's more of a matter of opportunity as much as anything else.... i really have to go out of my way to go shooting... Ranges are fun, but they're of limited value..i'd rather go to an outdoor range and shoot in a 3d environment without having to pay fees, being limited on what type of ammo i can use or how i can shoot...indoor ranges are not ideal... You'd think living in Oklahoma, outdoor ranges would be easy to come by...but if you live in the city, it's not unusual to have to drive 30 minutes to an hour just to go shooting...and then pay for the privilege. it makes it an event.... kinda gotta plan it out and feel like dragging everything out there. after working all week, i don't really have the energy to do all that. kinda leads back into 2.

I haven’t lost the interest, I have lost the ability to go shooting matches and plinking due to the wife’s Alzheimer’s and not being able to leave her alone for more than a quick run to the pharmacy or grocery store

My condolences to you, sir. I wouldn't wish alzheimers on my worst enemy, and the sacrifices you're making to take care of your wife are noble. It's probably the most evil disease.

Latest posts

Top Bottom