Have you lost interest in guns?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capnkirk462

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got a co2 pellet pistol- set at the patio table and shoot 3" targets stuck to a tall cardboard box- about as much fun as loading up and going to range or my nephew's farm. Need to get out though- I have a 22 pistol I haven't fired yet and make sure I can still hit with my carry piece. If a decent deal comes along on something I like and it's handy, I will pick it up. But I think all the time- need to sell some no more than I shoot now.
I have been thinking of doing pellet rifles or airsoft lately. Especially with the prices of classic guns are now days. I will never be able to afford to own a STG44, PPSH41 or full auto Mauser Broomhandle C96 pistol but I can buy really good recreations of them in airsoft. As long as I am outside doing something who cares what it is.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I used to shoot a lot. Ammo is so damn expensive now I'm hoarding it and when I do get to the range I maybe shoot a few magazines practicing my reloading skills while waiting on the apoccyclips.

GaryOkie

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I used to shoot more, but ran into some serious health problems. Had to sell my house because I couldn’t take care of it anymore. My wife and I moved into an apartment and we’re loving life. Makes life a lot easier. I’ve went shooting 4 times this year. I’m starting to get more addicted to 2011’s. Now I just need to find my grail gun. Then I’ll be shooting more. No more buying, got all the guns I want.

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting to read other’s accounts.

Advanced Glaucoma changed a lot for me.
But shooting was always about friends. Good ones. Never did a lot of shooting alone (outside of load-development) where I wasn’t enlisted or enlisting a good friend. And at 70, a lot of those friends are gone or don’t get out so much.

Availability of a location too. Can’t shoot off my front porch like I once did - not on a cul-de-sac.

Cost isn’t quite the issue when you cast your own but primers have caused a scramble before and you can’t say powder and primers don’t crimp your style at all.

When you are in to old-guns, doesn’t seem like there is any end to the lure unless you can just stay off the web. But may be I’m just making excuses for what I’ve done the last two months.

Hear’s a funny story. The last two times my wife went out of town for the night, by coincidence I bought a gun both times!
I told her as she left for the airport this next trip (for four days) "you know this means I'll be buying four guns, right"? Had no idea a package deal for four vintage pieces would get dropped into my lap about 6 hours later.

I got to admit it though, we change. At 60, I was a skeptic. Thought “not me”! But I found a-lot happens in the decade after 60. And some of it pretty dang good! Somebody already mentioned grandkids. I filmed about 120 of my grandson’s wrestling matches last year. Which means almost as many as ‘rounds fired’.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also have been shooting much less. A lot of it due to knowing how difficult it will be to replenish items I'd use up. I've sold several of my rifles and pistols after seeing them sit idle for a year or more. Now, if I had a 300-500 yard range in my backyard I'm sure I'd still be going at it, but at this point it's just not as worth it to me as it used to be.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Special Hen
Reaction score
My shooting has slowed down to a mere trickle since the 'vid started.
My competing has stopped completely, although I did volunteer RO at a local match. I dont want to consider myself retired from the competitions, the go-bag is still ready to go at a moments notice, it's just mentally harder to dedicate that much ammo to an afternoon now.

I can't seem to stop the gun buying. Impossible to stop that urge, but as soon as I get it home, it just gets put away.
I have nowhere near enough ammo hoarded. I need to convert some of my firearms into more ammo.
I have checked off many of my grail wants over the last three years, but I never end up shooting them.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say 80% of the guns i own i have never shot not that it would hurt their value since they were used before me and i should thin the herd but just cant make myself do it just yet the day is coming and more than likely quicker than i want it to.

Frank Pope

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven’t lost the interest, I have lost the ability to go shooting matches and plinking due to the wife’s Alzheimer’s and not being able to leave her alone for more than a quick run to the pharmacy or grocery store
I feel you, my wife had a stroke and I am always on call. Not complaining, but it is the way of things.

Latest posts

Top Bottom