HB 2742 - Seat belt law

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been getting emails from AAA on this. It apparently requires that 8 to 17 year old children wear a seat belt in the back seat. I guess I thought that was already required. But, given all the fighting that it took to get the seat belt law passed way back when, they didn't think to require them for children in the back seat? That seems like a not-so-small oversight to me. Wouldn't most people have supported the minors in the back seat portion, even if they objected to the requirement for adults to wear them?

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That would seem likely, but we always want to think “they” are taking away more of our rights.

I get that argument, but it appears odd to me that the fight on the old seat belt law was won (or lost, depending on perspective) for adults in the front seat but no one thought it might also be good to buckle kids in the back seat? To me that seems a more worthy fight than adults in the front seat.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't get why folks don't wear seatbelts all of the time regardless of where they sit anyway. I've gotten so used to it I feel weird if I don't wear it.

I guess back when the original primary seatbelt law was passed maybe they agreed to only apply it to the front seat in order to come to a consensus?

Anyway, kids should definitely be buckled whenever riding in a car. Hopefully this passes.

Now if only there was a law against texting and driving . . . .

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess back when the original primary seatbelt law was passed maybe they agreed to only apply it to the front seat in order to come to a consensus?
That would be my guess as well.

We started wearing them when it first became law, even though there was a grace period where you wouldn't be fined. So when the fines did kick in, we were already in the habit.

FWIW, I'm guessin' texting while driving has been more deadly than unbuckled seatbelts. :/
:drunk2:

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But Ted, you just posted that you thought the .gov should be setting minimum wages. It's always a matter of where we draw the line on their control.

You are correct. We tried employment without any government interference for about 125 years. It got us monopolies, unsafe working conditions, "company towns", child labor.....it's a damn shame that someone has to be told not to send kids into coal mines, but that's how we got here.

If you want to skirt the law on minimum wage and safety laws, just hire illegals.

If you think being told to wear a seatbelt is an intrusion on freedom, don't wear one.

If my choice was to abandon both restraints, or adopt both restraints, I'd choose to abandon them both. That's not the option today.

(and since you're referring to my minimum wage post, you'll notice I wrote we are ALREADY making up the balance via stolen earnings redistributed)

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They passed the seat belt law for automobiles but inadvertently omitted pickups so they had to come back and amend the law to include pickups...remember that a few years back?

Latest posts

Top Bottom