HB 2742 - Seat belt law

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seat belts became mandatory equipment in passenger cars in 1968. & in pickup trucks in I believe '73.
Didn't mean you had to use them. I'm not sure what year the seatbelt law was passed. I think I was in high school at the time.

I have 2 vehicles that I wear the seatbelt all the time when I'm driving it. I have 2 vehicles I can't stand wearing it.

I can't stand the way some of these belts strap across my chest & over my sholder. I have a problem with that strap going over my collar bone.
The 2 cars I wear the belts all the time are older cars & are lap belts only. I'm happy to wear those.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are correct. We tried employment without any government interference for about 125 years. It got us monopolies, unsafe working conditions, "company towns", child labor.....it's a damn shame that someone has to be told not to send kids into coal mines, but that's how we got here.

If you want to skirt the law on minimum wage and safety laws, just hire illegals.

If you think being told to wear a seatbelt is an intrusion on freedom, don't wear one.

If my choice was to abandon both restraints, or adopt both restraints, I'd choose to abandon them both. That's not the option today.

(and since you're referring to my minimum wage post, you'll notice I wrote we are ALREADY making up the balance via stolen earnings redistributed)

I was agreeing with you.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have two options when it comes to seatbelts in my truck. Either wear it and be happy, or shoot the damn beeping tattle tell thing. IT NEVER STOPS I SWEAR TO GOD.

Law or not, I have worked, been in and seen too many accidents where a seatbelt would have prevent death. Rolling a minivan off it's top with a dead kid pinned underneath was the "Yup" for me.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone with half a brain proof read these type bills/laws before the draft it?

When they originally wrote the bill, one of our reps had added a requirement that seatbelts be worn on motorcycles. He was against the nanny state and simply making a point.

I guess he didn't realize how willing people are to be told what to do.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally I don’t wear a seat belt while normal driving. Paid a few fines willingly to not do so.
If as an adult you wish to wear one in my vehicle I have no problems with that decision.
If you don’t, I’ll hand you a seat belt fooler that turns off the alarm.
I came upon an accident years ago that caught fire. A friend and I tried to get two guys out of the vehicle but the heat was too intense.
Their seat belts were the reason we couldn’t get them out. I’ll never forget the screaming and agonizing before those guys fried to death.
I’m sure there are dozens of anecdotal incidents that would justify wearing belts, but this one is seared into my mind and I can’t get past it.

38Super

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Started wearing a seatbelt while in the military. Pretty sure it was mandatory while operating a vehicle on base. After 5 years, just got to be automatic. As far as kids, I always thought there were requirements for seats, etc, based on weight, height and age. (don't have any so don't know for sure) just going based off what i see my nephew and neighbors do.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been getting emails from AAA on this. It apparently requires that 8 to 17 year old children wear a seat belt in the back seat. I guess I thought that was already required. But, given all the fighting that it took to get the seat belt law passed way back when, they didn't think to require them for children in the back seat? That seems like a not-so-small oversight to me. Wouldn't most people have supported the minors in the back seat portion, even if they objected to the requirement for adults to wear them?
That seems like a very strange oversight, considering that babies and children are already required to be in rear-facing baby seats, front-facing baby seats, or booster seats, depending on their stage of development. How did 8-17 year olds get such dangerous freedom?

Latest posts

Top Bottom