HB 2742 - Seat belt law

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't get why folks don't wear seatbelts all of the time regardless of where they sit anyway. I've gotten so used to it I feel weird if I don't wear it.

I guess back when the original primary seatbelt law was passed maybe they agreed to only apply it to the front seat in order to come to a consensus?

Anyway, kids should definitely be buckled whenever riding in a car. Hopefully this passes.

Now if only there was a law against texting and driving . . . .
I always wear mine and so does my wife and son. It just ain’t worth it.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That seems like a very strange oversight, considering that babies and children are already required to be in rear-facing baby seats, front-facing baby seats, or booster seats, depending on their stage of development. How did 8-17 year olds get such dangerous freedom?

And how did us old folks survive childhood piled in the back of a truck, stuffed in an aunt's station wagon, breathing in secondhand smoke? It's a miracle we aren't all dead, I tell ya.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s been awhile since I browsed through title 47, but did they ever require seat belts in school buses?
And yet they still don't have to wear them on a bus. And that dangerous standing on the city bus just hanging onto a bar. They should put them on buses and do spot checks. A ticket to the driver for every kid not wearing one:bolt:

GunSlingingPlatypus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And yet they still don't have to wear them on a bus. And that dangerous standing on the city bus just hanging onto a bar. They should put them on buses and do spot checks. A ticket to the driver for every kid not wearing one:bolt:

It would take a driver hours to complete a school bus route. Trying to get those kids to stay buckled up and having to get up and help kids get unbuckled. That would be a nightmare.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally I don’t wear a seat belt while normal driving. Paid a few fines willingly to not do so.
If as an adult you wish to wear one in my vehicle I have no problems with that decision.
If you don’t, I’ll hand you a seat belt fooler that turns off the alarm.
I came upon an accident years ago that caught fire. A friend and I tried to get two guys out of the vehicle but the heat was too intense.
Their seat belts were the reason we couldn’t get them out. I’ll never forget the screaming and agonizing before those guys fried to death.
I’m sure there are dozens of anecdotal incidents that would justify wearing belts, but this one is seared into my mind and I can’t get past it.

I often carry racing fuel or several 5 gallon cans of gas in race jugs. I NEVER wear my belt when carrying that much fuel for that exact reason.

I wear it most of the rest of the time though. I can't even hear the beeper so that's never an issue.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If a parent isn't making their kids buckle up now, what's to say they will after it becomes law? There is a reasonable suspicion the only reason this is being considered is so police can generate additional revenue and be provided the cover of probable cause to lawfully violate the rights of citizens.

Latest posts

Top Bottom