HD Shotgun Thoughts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess everybody misses my point about why a pump gun should not be used in HD.
If your in an exchange of gunfire with a home invader, and you take a round to either arm, your pump gun becomes a single shot. You can stay in the fight with a self loader, shooting one handed.

Short stroking is certainly an issue. Its one that can be eliminated though with the correct weapon for the job at hand.

99.8% of home owners ARE NOT going to get professional training, and fire at most a couple hundreds of rounds a year at a range.
Realistically, pumps are just fine for HD. I doubt we can find where a homeowner had died because taking a round in an arm and not being able to work the action.

With that said: a pump shotgun is not my first choice for a home defense weapon. It's a fine weapon, just not my first choice. I think one handed operation is probably the best argument for using a semiauto shotgun for home defense. Although you could go all Edmundo Mireles circa the Miami Platt and Matix shootout and use a pump one handed.

Shoot buckshot or other load through Sheetrock then ask yourself if family in other rooms will be safe.
Bullets tend to slow down after passing though people. Also, don't use your family as a backstop.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Realistically, pumps are just fine for HD. I doubt we can find where a homeowner had died because taking a round in an arm and not being able to work the action. .

You might want to do some homework on this statement.

As I stated, a person can take that variable out of the situation by NOT using a pump. Its obvious your a pump gun owner and want to justify your position, but if you put some reasoning/facts into it, you should see that a pump is not the answer.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I stated, a person can take that variable out of the situation by NOT using a pump. Its obvious your a pump gun owner and want to justify your position, but if you put some reasoning/facts into it, you should see that a pump is not the answer.

norman said:
With that said: a pump shotgun is not my first choice for a home defense weapon. It's a fine weapon, just not my first choice. I think one handed operation is probably the best argument for using a semiauto shotgun for home defense.

I think Norman already stated that he is more or less agreeing with you Dennis.
If a pump gun is all you have, I guarantee its better than throwing golf balls at intruders with your hands. Realistically, a pump gun can and will go boom on a reliable basis. Is it the absolutely best tool for the job? Absolutely not. But it'll do pig, it'll do.

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, here are my schools of though on a home defense gun:

1. shotgun - use a shotgun. NOT an AR or other semi auto rifle. In the moment of sheer panic and terror that surrounds a home invasion, you want something with a larger hit radius than a 223 round. a shotgun is literally point and shoot. not AIM and shoot. just point and shoot. even big names like Jerry Miculek recommend a shotgun. (He recommends a Mossberg 930 BTW) - and if THAT dude isn't using an AR for home defense as the go-to gun, no one should.

1. While it does have a larger hit radius than a 223, it's far from being a point and shoot. You still must aim. This is the biggest misconception about shotguns. There's tons of videos out there of the shot patterns at home defense ranges. They're the size of a softball at best, more like a baseball for most of our houses. If you train with em they are fantastic, but the notion that you don't need to aim makes people lazy in their training. Me personally, I will take an ar with multiple follow up shots and minimal recoil versus a shotgun.

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never use a pump gun for HD. The myth of "racking the slide" to scare off an invader is urban legend.

You give up your defensive position for the first part, and if you loose the use of an arm to a shot, your screwed to rack another round.

Get a Self loader if your wanting to use a shotgun.

Not to mention if you have kids or other loved ones in the house. Either holding one of em or they grab your arm and won't let go. We can tell people what to do all we want but when s hits the fan we don't know how children will react.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is an idea, pick a firearm that fits you comfortably, practice with it, not just at the range, dry fire it, practice loading/unloading (using snap caps) and know everything about it, where it hits with what type of ammo, what types of ammo feed better, and the workings of your firearm inside and out. So much so that it is second nature to you. What works for one person may not be the best answer for another.

About the bird shot. Would you use rubber bullets in a rifle or pistol for fear of hitting your neighbors house? Knowing where your firearm hits will eliminate most of the fear of hitting your neighbors house with a miss, and negate the need for using bird shot as defensive ammo. If, God forbid the time ever comes that you have to use your firearm in a defensive situation remember that your family will be counting on you for their safety/survival, they are worth using the best ammo that will end the situation in the shortest amount of time. Put the thug down hard, fast and without doubt.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think Norman already stated that he is more or less agreeing with you Dennis.
If a pump gun is all you have, I guarantee its better than throwing golf balls at intruders with your hands. Realistically, a pump gun can and will go boom on a reliable basis. Is it the absolutely best tool for the job? Absolutely not. But it'll do pig, it'll do.
Bingo

And yes, I own pump guns. I also own single shots, and semi autos. Do I need to justify my position? Not at all, I know what I can do with all of my guns. It helps that the shotgun is not my go-to for home defense though.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bingo

And yes, I own pump guns. I also own single shots, and semi autos. Do I need to justify my position? Not at all, I know what I can do with all of my guns. It helps that the shotgun is not my go-to for home defense though.

Justification may not be needed, but for the OP's sake, it would be worthwhile, as he is asking our opinions in HD shotguns. And also on that note, what is your go to and why?

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You folks that think my term "point and shoot" means 'hold it at the hip and aim at it at the doorway' need to think more about shotgun terminology.

It's not internet garbage to say you "point" a shotgun.

here, read tip number five right here:

http://www.americaoutdoors.com/shooting/features/ten_tips.htm

For those who choose not to click the link here is what is says:

When pointing your gun, focus on the target and not the gun barrel or bead. Point, don't aim. Aiming slows your swing and causes you to shoot behind. Since a shot string is 10-14' long, use it to your advantage by pointing slightly more in front of a target. If you miss crossing targets, you are probably shooting behind. Try to "miss" in front by doubling your lead, and if still missing, try doubling the lead again.

Doesn't matter if you're shooting quary or Mr. meth-head coming for your 55" plasma TV. You do not AIM a shotgun.

Here are a coupe of other good articles on how to POINT a shotgun

http://www.doncurrie.com/how-do-i-point-versus-aim-a-shotgun

http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/archive/feb14/story0214.html

http://www.hunter-ed.com/oregon/studyGuide/Shooting-a-Shotgun-vs.-a-Rifle/201038_700020780

Notice that these are not links to other forum discussions. these are from genuine shotgun authorities. (except the Oregon one). Just beacuse you're aiming your shotgun at a man-sized target doesn't change how you should operate it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom