HD Shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, all things are pointing to the wife and I moving this summer. We will be going from a house in the country to an apartment in town. This means the AK and pistols are a no go for home defense. So I'm currently in the market for a HD shotgun. This would not be for anything but home defense, I have other shotguns for hunting and shooting clays. What I'm wondering is your opinions on:
Which shotgun? (Mossberg 500, Remington 870, ect.)

Pistol Grip or Buttstock pros and cons

accessories (I don't want a bunch of crap hanging off it, just essential crap)

Light or no light?

Ammo?

What's a reasonable price to pay for a HD shotgun?

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mossy and Remington are both fine guns. Really, the difference is whether you prefer the Mossberg ambi (tang) safety. Since you clearly have other hardware, I wouldn't worry about an extended mag tube- it just adds weight.

For a light, a small piece of rail on the forend with something like a TLR/Insight would be good. SureFire 600 series forends are available for both, and you might find an older used one for $150-$180 if you really search.

Pistol grips throw accuracy to hell and are only really good for breaching, or giving yourself a blackeye or busted lip. A PG stock, on the other hand is not a bad way to go, IMHO. Shorter is generally better, at around an 11" LOP.

Price. Between $200 and $350, depending on new/used/etc., for a pump. You might do better, if someone needs to sell. Cheaper semi-autos (Moss 930, Stoeger M2000) are in the $500-600 range, but again, may be cheaper, if used.

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mossy and Remington are both fine guns. Really, the difference is whether you prefer the Mossberg ambi (tang) safety. Since you clearly have other hardware, I wouldn't worry about an extended mag tube- it just adds weight.

For a light, a small piece of rail on the forend with something like a TLR/Insight would be good. SureFire 600 series forends are available for both, and you might find an older used one for $150-$180 if you really search.

Pistol grips throw accuracy to hell and are only really good for breaching, or giving yourself a blackeye or busted lip. A PG stock, on the other hand is not a bad way to go, IMHO. Shorter is generally better, at around an 11" LOP.

Price. Between $200 and $350, depending on new/used/etc., for a pump. You might do better, if someone needs to sell. Cheaper semi-autos (Moss 930, Stoeger M2000) are in the $500-600 range, but again, may be cheaper, if used.

Thanks. Just trying to do my research before rushing into a purchase.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remington 870 in 18" or Mossy 500/590 in 18"
Knoxx recoil stock
Surefire for end light (if you really want one)
Wilson ghost rings
Side saddle for 6 extra shells
I use Federal Tactical 00 8 ball shells for my HD rounds in my shotgun.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
unless you just need a new pretty shotgun, I would check with your local pawnshops for a mossberg 500, maverick 88, or remy 870 of any variety. Barrels can be found if gun doesn't already have a short one, or they can be cut by several smiths for cheap. I believe in simplicity, buckshot of most flavors is good, I don't need accesories, just more ammo. just my .02

Dan at freedom pawn often has shottys in his racks and is great about dealing.

Republicanhack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You sure you need a 12ga for apartment defense? There are some tests out there that show how devastating a 12ga is to interior walls. I used to keep a .410 for home defense when i lived in close proximity to others. And people will talk trash about the .410 but the truth is that it will work and I promise you it wont just piss off the guy you shoot with it. Also the recoil is less so its easier to get back on target when your standing in your underwear at 3am. Have you looked at specialty rounds for your pistol so you dont have to worry as much about over penetration?

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Either the Rem 870 OR the Mossberg 590A1 are great choices. I currently have a M590A1 with a Speedfeed stock, three dot sights and a SideSaddle. Great gun.

Another option that is kinda cool is the Stoeger Coach Gun. Compact and a nasty bad ass vibe to it with those two large barrels.

For shells, if over penetration is a concern you can use #8 shot. I don't have such a concern because if I have to use my shotgun, it will likely be at 5 to 20 yards outdoors. With that, I have my 590A1 loaded with alternating loads of 00 Buck and #4 Buck (I like the dense shot pattern). Last round in the tube is a 3" #4 Buckshot load which packs 41, 22cal pellots. SideSaddle has three rounds of 00 and three rounds of #4 and the Speedfeed has four 1oz slugs in it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom