Help me build a shelter bucket

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All of this storm prep had me and the wife setting up our plans for staging all our food, weapons, and BOBs in case of a storm emergency.we have actually decided that our food buckets combined with 2x10s should make great seating in the shelter. This also led to the thought that a person could even have a pistol/mag/ammo bucket or 2 by incorperating some gun case foam for a quick storm day get away. And that led to the idea of just a storm day prep bucket.

I also saw where one member has a kitty litter bucket in their shelter, loved that idea.

So far it just seems to be redundency of the bobs but not so involved as the bobs. I thought I would get ideas from you all as what else may be a good idea for a grab and go situation.

Bucket

flashlight x3
batteries
adjustable wrench
blankets
first aid kit
flash drive
ear plugs
air horn?
laminated paper w/ ICE info
snacks/sea ration
cards/kids card game
baby doll duplicate

I have also been throwing around the Idea of a clothing bucket where maybe each of us (3) can have at least 1 change of clothes plus a second pair of shoes. Am I crazy or do any of you all do stuff like this too?

jalapeno

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like your idea of being prepaired , you have many good items listed only thing I can think of would be one of those emergency/backup power sources for a cell phone.

SDS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would replace the air horn with a good whistle (Fox40 or Jetscream), chemlight/light sticks, small tool kit, work gloves and boots, tarp, duct tape, bottled water and some singler serving koolaid type flavorings. There are a LOT of items that can be stored in a shelter. It really just depends on how much room you have and what you want to be prepared for.

I use ice chests to store items in. They seal well so bugs can't get into them and they are multi use. Besides just storage, if we do lose power or even our whole house they can be used to keep food items in or just to pack up belongings. Used ice chests are usually inexpensive but even new ones can be found for a reasonable cost.

I would keep a change of clothes for each person. Work clothes are a good idea since, if you have damage, you will be trying to get things liveable again. A first aid kit should be there as well. Besides basic band aids and minor stuff I keep trauma gear down there.

Imagine if you were to have come out of your shelter in Moore last week after the devastation that happened. What would you want in your shelter? What would be most useful? Help will usually arrive fairly quickly but could still be 30 minutes to an hour away. Also be sure that your shelter is registered with your city. After an event like Moore, registered shelters will be the first to be checked. If your trapped inside you will want someone to come looking for you.

The buckets are a good idea since they are portable and provide protection from critters but my preference is the ice chests. It really is a matter of personal preference and what works for you though.

Stay safe,
SDS

walker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hatchet with a file to sharpen it in case you have to chop away some debris. And make sure the bucket has a good lid in case you have to fill it with slop.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Being prepped means just that. BOB is totally different than storm prep. Storm prep means what you have listed is ALREADY in the shelter. Main changes / additions I see is - WATER, storm radio - hand crank/AC/battery/solar can even recharge cellphone on hand crank (1 I have). Pistol stays on my belt all the time. Seen on another post and ordered one yesterday from Amazon $12.60; rescue strobe light / siren (similar to what the Coast Guard uses for man overboard) tape it to a broom handle and stick it up through the vent. You list adjustable wrench, I have a tool bag and hydraulic jack. Only thing listed not in shelter is flashlights, they stay by the bed, a storm at night is not when you want to be looking for a light or remembering to gather buckets of supplies, it's rabbit time - down the hole FAST.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is what I always recommend to all of our customers:

2 flashlights with extra batteries
Bottled water
Sump Pump
Whistle
come along (should be with your shelter)
coleman tent fan/light combo with magnetic clip runs off 4 D batteries (can be found at walmart for like $30)
granola bars
5 gallon bucket
toilet paper
crank weather radio
glow sticks
crescent wrech

That should about cover it.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. My shelter bucket will just live in the shelter but the others would go down at the begining of a "storm day" And don't worry, my carry gun always stays with me. The bucket of guns was a way to stage and ready my collection. Just like the duffle bag of long guns. ANd slop bucket for sure. That is where I said the kitty litter bucket is a good idea

Latest posts

Top Bottom