Help me pick a scope!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a scope for my short Encore in 30-06. I'm having the barrel cut down to 18" or so and I want a low power variable scope to sit on top. I've been looking at several.

Burris FFII 2-7x35 - $190 with P4 reticle (don't really need the ballistic plex)
Nikon Monarch 2-8x32 - $290
Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7x32 - $210
Leupold VX-II 2-7x33 - $300
Vortex Viper 2-7x32 - $260

I'm really leaning toward the Burris because I have a couple Fulfield IIs already and they are very nice scopes. It is also on the cheaper side of my findings.

Let me know what experience you guys have with scopes on the list. If you like one in this power and price range that isn't listed let me hear about it as well.

Thanks!

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd probably take the Bushnell out of your lineup. And I've got a Leupold VX-II, I'm happy with it, but I'd trade it for a Bushnell Elite.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bushnell! I have that very scope with the firefly reticle. I'm totally happy with it.

From your list I take the Bushnell 1st, Burris 2nd, and Nikon 3rd (because of price). The Leupy would be at the very bottom because the VX-II's are over priced. They offer nothing over the Bushnell or Burris except the name on the side and I think the Nikon has better glass. YMMV.

I'm a big fan of Bushnell's Elite series because you get a lot of value for the dollars you spend.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm leaning toward the burris over the Bushnell right now. FOV is better, 10 MOA more adjustment, better exit pupil. I do like the 1/4MOA clicks on the 3200 though. Not sure or in a hurry, keep em coming guys.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
got to disagree... there is a difference between Leupold and other brands mentioned. but it's not on the optics end... differences are more pronounced on the mechanical end.

Leupold scopes generally have smaller footprint than say a Bushnell in the same magnifications. high end optics all perform very close to each other. but how they function can be very different.

for instance... Bushnell Legend 5x15 mil dot optics performs very close to Bushnell 4200 Elite's optics. but mechanics are very different in the two scopes.

one excellent way to gain performance on rifles for hunting is with a fixed power 4x scope. my favorite hunting scope is an old Unertl 4x scope on a 50's Weatherby .270.

you'd be amazed at how an old fixed power Unertl scope can still keep up with the latest state of art Leupold, Bushnell, Zeiss, etc scopes.

Great guys. Keep 'em coming. The Leupy is probably out already. I've never owned one simply because the ones in my price range you only pay for the name.

cimarronvalley

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Over 30 years of testing various scopes ($19.99-1,347), I've found that, recently, the best scopes in the $200-400 range are the following:
- Burris FFII/Pentax Pioneer
- Nikon Monarch
- Nikon Coyote
- Nikon Bushmaster
- Nikon Primos
- Leupold VXIII (fuzzy glass at long range and poor light).
These scopes maintained Point of Impact (POI) within one inch through various power settings. Notice Bushnell is not on the list?

Have you considered a fixed power scope? I use them on my iron sight rifles with see through scope mounts (the guys give me a hard time about see through mounts on this forum since they have to rise their cheeck an inch and can no longer nap). Burris and Nikon make excellent 4x, 6x, and 8x scopes. Remember that the Mil-Dot sighting system is based on fixed 10X.

I ranked my scope picks based on price, glass clarity, and accuracy through power settings. These recommendations are only IMHO and based on my observations using 36 scoped weapons in inventory.

Latest posts

Top Bottom