Help me pick a scope!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a scope for my short Encore in 30-06. I'm having the barrel cut down to 18" or so and I want a low power variable scope to sit on top. I've been looking at several.

Burris FFII 2-7x35 - $190 with P4 reticle (don't really need the ballistic plex)
Nikon Monarch 2-8x32 - $290
Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7x32 - $210
Leupold VX-II 2-7x33 - $300
Vortex Viper 2-7x32 - $260

I'm really leaning toward the Burris because I have a couple Fulfield IIs already and they are very nice scopes. It is also on the cheaper side of my findings.

Let me know what experience you guys have with scopes on the list. If you like one in this power and price range that isn't listed let me hear about it as well.

Thanks!

Regarding Burris, I've heard negative things regarding their warranty service so I'd never buy one until I heard better things.

I personally had a bad experience with Bushnell warranty service so they're pretty low on my list of a scope to buy.

I've never used a Nikon scope but have heard good things about them.

I know nothing about Vortex scopes.

Most of my scopes are Leupolds all except 3 of which I bought used. I have a VX-II 3-9X I use on a 375 H&H Magnum and a VX-II 2-7X I use on a 458 Lott and I have no complaints about either one.

In my opinion, there is no downside to buying a used Leupold scope since Leupold's warranty on their Gold Ring series of scopes is valid even if you didn't buy the scope new.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
coming from the air gun world... a good warranty is everything!
a magnum springer air rifle is capable of breaking ANY scope.

note I'm not referring to normal springers, but a magnum springer air rifle. Beeman Crow Magnums and Beeman Kodiaks that I've owned have managed to break Leupold VXIII and Bushnell Elite 4200.

my experience with Bushnell and Leupold warranty both were fuss free.
you break it... we fix it. warranty follows the optic, not original buyer adding value to all Leupold and certain Bushnell with lifetime warranties.

for those of you that think Leupold are priced out of reach.... be patient and keep a eye out for used Leupold optics. they generally are priced used slightly higher than what a lower quality optic would cost new.

once you find a used Leupold ... they hold their value over the long term just like a quality firearm.

Regarding Burris, I've heard negative things regarding their warranty service so I'd never buy one until I heard better things.

I personally had a bad experience with Bushnell warranty service so they're pretty low on my list of a scope to buy.

~
In my opinion, there is no downside to buying a used Leupold scope since Leupold's warranty on their Gold Ring series of scopes is valid even if you didn't buy the scope new.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Burris glass is nice, but heavy. I've owned 3 3200's and thought every one of them was a lot of glass for the money. With only a $20 difference, I'd pick the 3200.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I went a little different way. None of the ones on the list were the lucky winner. I ended up buying a Bushnell Trophy 1-4x24 with a 30mm tube. Optics Planet backordered my 1" rings and I snagged some Burris XTR 30mm rings on here for a great deal. Now I needed a picatinny rail for the rings. I got the EGW base from Optics Planet to use with the scope rings. Now I had to find a 30mm scope! I found several reviews and people seemed to like the scope for what it costs and I really like the reticle. I think this will be a pretty nifty set up once it's all done.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnel...minated-dot-30mm-tube-riflescope-731424m.html

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I went a little different way. None of the ones on the list were the lucky winner. I ended up buying a Bushnell Trophy 1-4x24 with a 30mm tube. Optics Planet backordered my 1" rings and I snagged some Burris XTR 30mm rings on here for a great deal. Now I needed a picatinny rail for the rings. I got the EGW base from Optics Planet to use with the scope rings. Now I had to find a 30mm scope! I found several reviews and people seemed to like the scope for what it costs and I really like the reticle. I think this will be a pretty nifty set up once it's all done.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnel...minated-dot-30mm-tube-riflescope-731424m.html

Man, I was hoping you would get that Vortex and tell us about it in a range-report - I'm just about to spend some money on a vortex Viper PST setup with MOA/MOA because I've heard so many good things about them.

I don't think you'll be unhappy with that Bushnell, but in my honest opinion, it looks like it belongs on an AR (so let me know when you're looking to sell it :D ).

Latest posts

Top Bottom