Help me pick my .22 plinker

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would vote for the Ruger Single Six too, slow loading and slow shooting, but dangit, it puts the bullets where they need to go(with a little help from me anyways). But I can't help any more than that b/c I don't recall shooting any other .22 pistols except the Mosquito and I just didn't feel right shooting a Sig Sauer .22...

I have a ruger single six and a sig .22.....you can't beat a ruger!

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Over the years I have had several .22 plinkers. I finally used the high cost of ammo as an excuse to get s S&WV Model 41. I found a good deal on one and bought it. This is the last .22 pistol I will ever buy.

Okvet03

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After firing a Ruger mark II and III, a Margolin (Russian target pistol) and a Browning challenger III, I have to vote for the Browning. If you do have a misfire I found the Browning easier to clear than the Ruger. I believe one of the previous posts was commenting on an AMT.

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a buckmark camper today. Gave it a first initial cleaning of course. Haven't shot it yet and anxious to do so. It feels really good in my hand though.

Knowing that 22's can sometimes be finicky with ammo, what are your experiences with the different brands of bulk 22LR ammo with this pistol in regards to just general target shooting/plinking?

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ruger Single-Six! It's my favorite. Shoots as good if not better than by dad's Diamondback. If you must have a semi-auto...probably the Buckmark. The Ruger Mark II or III is excellent as well, but much harder to clean.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a 22/45 Mk III and sold it. I like it well enough, shot well and fit my hand well, but was way too complicated to strip and reassemble.

I have read others simply boresnake it and only strip every 6-9k rounds or so, but I'm more meticulous than that. I'm looking at a Browning or a Walther.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot the Ruger 22/45 MkIII with optical front site and a performance trigger package for my CCW class. Man.. i LOVED that gun! I'd love to have one.

b

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think people are blowing the ease of cleaning a Ruger out of proportion. Once you do it the first time, it's not a problem afterwards, just a matter of learning the tricks. I certainly wouldn't let it keep me from owning one.

I have both a Buckmark Shot Show limited production gun and a Mark III Hunter. I like the extra weight of the Ruger compared to the Browning, especially at long range (part of that is my own fault for putting a TacSol barrel on it). The Ruger, in general, seems to be better built than the Browning, but I'm not sure that really translates to anything meaningful. If I had to choose one or the other, I'd probably pick the Ruger.

However, I don't plan on getting rid of either. Actually, I'm currently fighting the itch to buy a Single Six Hunter...if I could find one.

Razur

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been eyeballing the CZ Kadet, its a 22 with a fullsize "real gun" look to it.
I was disappointed to hear the bad reviews of the Sig Mosquito, that's what I was looking at originally.
Good luck in your quest!

Latest posts

Top Bottom