Help, need some advice on ammo reloading.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wufee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting into reloading and would be fairly low volume in 45 and 9mm. What brand equipment do you like and model. Keeping in mind that simple is a good thing.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great question on the price. Low volume can mean different things to each of us. If you define it as 50'rds every third week, don't reload just buy ammo at walmart.

sharkbait

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lee single stage presses go for around $20 plus the dies, great place to start. Your first purchase should be a reloading manual, read it cover to cover twice. Reloading is a hobby in itself and is rewarding but you need to know what you are doing, making a mistake can be very painful and even fatal.

cearven1987

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you can pickup a lee kit with everything. powder dispenser scale funnel pretty much everything you need besides dies for around 100 bux thats what i done when i first started just to make sure i wouldnt spend alot of money and not use it but ive loaded alot of rounds with it and i think its about time for an upgread

wufee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, fortunately budget is not a problem. I'm now semi-retired and have an application in with Oil Capital Gun Club and am planning on doing more shooting. My interest in reloading would be more of a hobby and I'm guessing 800 to 1000 rounds a month but who knows, I might go crazy lol.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi wufee,

For your needs I highly recommend the Dillon 550. You can change calibers on it quickly and easily and it is a simple, solid, reliable press that will last you. One pull of the handle equals one piece of ammunition. The 550 is the definition of simple, nothing on it is more complicated than it needs to be.

The only reason to spend more is if you want a case feeder setup in which case you might look at the 650 or Hornady LNL.

Get a couple of good reloading books and read them cover to cover!

Good luck,

Alan

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Curious about the cost of the reloaded round - 100 rounds of 9mm winchester white box is about 21 cents a round after tax.

What does it cost per round to reload?

Good question cyber, I assume there's a saving. Maybe one of these other shooters will know how much.

In my calculations, there is a savings, but I don't reload 9mm because it's not worth the time for me. I think you can reload for about 17 cents a round. I also don't shoot a ton of 9mm.

Latest posts

Top Bottom