Help, need some advice on ammo reloading.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
PV has Titegroup for $105.70 for an 8 lb jug.

That's 56,000 grains of powder, at $0.0019/grain.

Hodgdon's data center lists a max charge of 4.8gr for a 115gr bullet.

So we have $0.00912 per cartridge, or $9.12 for enough to load 1000 rounds.

Assuming you only bought that one jug from PV and paid the shipping and hazmat the jug would cost around $140 which makes your powder cost $12 for the 1000 rounds, for handgun ammo powder is the smallest cost component until you start loading free range pickup brass. A 1 lb jug will load about 1,500 rounds at 4.8gr per cartridge.

Here's a GB auction for 3000 9mm cases with a to your door cost of $78. That's $26/K, less than the $30 I stated.

You absolutely need to buy bullets in some quantity to get a good price, the $76/K I quoted is from montana gold for a case quantity. But you can buy Zero's or Precision Delta's for similar money shipped if you're willing to get 2,000 at a time.

The savings is real for 9mm, just not as pronounced as shooting 45 factory vs. 45 with cast bullets.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I need to know where you're getting 9MM brass for $30/K, 115gr FMJ for $76/K and powder for $10 a pound Technetium. I'm shopping at the wrong places. Please advise my friend.

poopgiggle let you in on my bullet secret, cases are all over GB.

You're right about powder, no one has a pound of anything for $10 out the door. But a pound will also load way more than 1000 rounds, and the price I gave was for 1000 rounds. With 147gr bullets in 9mm a pound of powder may even load 2000 cartridges.

Reloading for $$$ savings or for getting more trigger time for the same $$$ is all about squeezing your nickels, and the best way to do that is buying components in some form of bulk. Which means getting powder in 8 lb jugs. It's hard to beat factory ammo pricewise if you're just buying a pound of powder here and a box of 100 bullets there.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think he's making stuff up about $10/lb powder though.

$10 was for 1000 rounds worth of powder, never said $10 per pound.

You can also get primers for a good bit cheaper than $30/K by buying around 5K from PV. Tula SPP are $20/K, Wideners had Wolf SPP for $15.50/K a bit ago.

Spread shipping and hazmat over 5K primers and it comes in at leas than $30/K. Add in a jug of powder and you're doing even better.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$10 was for 1000 rounds worth of powder, never said $10 per pound.

You can also get primers for a good bit cheaper than $30/K by buying around 5K from PV. Tula SPP are $20/K, Wideners had Wolf SPP for $15.50/K a bit ago.

Spread shipping and hazmat over 5K primers and it comes in at leas than $30/K. Add in a jug of powder and you're doing even better.

Sorry I didn't really read what you said; when he said "$10/lb FOR POWDER THAT'S MADNESS" I assumed that's what you were saying.

I kinda figured that your source on cheap powder and primers was PV :) My strategy is "ask for a big jug of Bullseye for Christmas" so I can externalize my ammo costs to my family.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you live in Tulsa or are coming to the big Wanenmacher Gun Show, you can possibly save even more money by avoiding the hazmat. PV comes to that show every year and I think if you place an order and ask them to bring it down with them, they will do it (least they have in the past).

wufee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you live in Tulsa or are coming to the big Wanenmacher Gun Show, you can possibly save even more money by avoiding the hazmat. PV comes to that show every year and I think if you place an order and ask them to bring it down with them, they will do it (least they have in the past).

Thanks, I'm going to the show. What's PV stand for?

sharkbait

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
J&K Bullet Casters (405) 550-9033 regurlarly posts on this forum (good guy to do business with), if you live near Moore you can go pick up in person and save the freight. He also drives up to Tulsa on a pretty regular basis so you can meet him to pick up an order and save shipping.

Latest posts

Top Bottom