Help, need some advice on ammo reloading.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Furious_George

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you load lead bullets from J&K, you can get your 9mm cost down to about 10 cents per round. $5 a box is pretty good if you ask me. i load all of my .45acp using their bullets and i'm right at 13 cents per round.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Curious about the cost of the reloaded round - 100 rounds of 9mm winchester white box is about 21 cents a round after tax.

What does it cost per round to reload?

About the same for the same quality FMJ bullet for 9MM. 9MM isn't really cost effective IMHO. Something like .44 Magnum there's a significant difference though.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About the same for the same quality FMJ bullet for 9MM. 9MM isn't really cost effective IMHO. Something like .44 Magnum there's a significant difference though.

My thoughts exactly. Hence, I reload .38 special, .357, and .44 mag, not only for cost but also for higher quality ammo. I will soon be stepping into .223 but not for any cost savings, just tailoring ammo to my gun.

However, there is something to be said for reloading itself being fun and interesting to do.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For what it's worth the has been discussed a bunch in the ammo section.
You might go down there and do a little reading.
Might find the answer you're looking for.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You can buy quality jacketed 115gr bullets for about $76/K to your door, call primers $30/K, maybe $10 for the powder, and $30/K for cases if you don't pick them up after you shoot them. Realistically you're going to get 3-4 loads per case depending on how anal you are about picking them all up. You have spent $150 to load 1000 rounds of 9mm leaving the cases after shooting. You can save even more using less expensive projectiles like cast lead or moly coated.

The savings aren't as big as other calibers with 9mm but it's still cheaper than buying at wallyworld. Shoot 1000 rounds a month and you'll pay off your equipment pretty quickly.

As to the question about which press to buy. For 800-1000 rounds a month get yourself a progressive press, loading pistol ammo on a single stage is just terrible if you value your time at all. Anything from Dillon will make you happy, from the square deal to the 1050 they don't make a bad press, they just get more complex as you climb the ladder. A 550 would be hard to beat for your needs.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can buy quality jacketed 115gr bullets for about $76/K to your door, call primers $30/K, maybe $10 for the powder, and $30/K for cases if you don't pick them up after you shoot them. Realistically you're going to get 3-4 loads per case depending on how anal you are about picking them all up. You have spent $150 to load 1000 rounds of 9mm leaving the cases after shooting. You can save even more using less expensive projectiles like cast lead or moly coated.

I need to know where you're getting 9MM brass for $30/K, 115gr FMJ for $76/K and powder for $10 a pound Technetium. I'm shopping at the wrong places. Please advise my friend.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need to know where you're getting 9MM brass for $30/K, 115gr FMJ for $76/K and powder for $10 a pound Technetium. I'm shopping at the wrong places. Please advise my friend.

I don't buy brass, but you can get 9mm 115gr FMJ bullets from Precision Delta for $74/1000 shipped. I think he's making stuff up about $10/lb powder though.

PD reportedly had some serious issues keeping up with Obamarama but they're filling orders fine now.

Jerryinokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+ Alan's rec on the 550b. Once you get one, and if money is not object, get a second stage setup for the 45 (assuming you get the 9 with the original purchase). You won't regret getting it and having it so handy to swap out. After you get that setup, go here...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRZrbv_8kx4 .

This gentleman produced 5 videos for the 550b that are excellent. Listen to his advice on wearing safety glasses, etc. Take your time and DOUBLE CHECK YOUR LOADS.

I started about 7 months ago and have reloaded about 4,000 rounds of 9 and 45. Absolutely have a blast (yes, pun intended). I relied a lot on the guys in the Reloading Dept. at H&H in OKC. Brian Enos' website is SUPERB for questions, as are the folks on this forum.

Enjoy and load safe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom