Help Replacing a Win94 Front Sight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cscokd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All,

I am wanting to put an XS Ghost Ring on my Win 94 Trapper and I'm having some issues "drifting" the front blade. In all of the web-trolling I've done over the past several days, everyone talks about "tapping" it out. Well, using the included punch and 8oz and 10oz hammers, I've "banged" on it quite a bit and only achieved about 1/16" of movement, even after using penetrating oil. I found 1 (and only one) forum entry where the author stated that the dovetails are tapered and must be inserted/removed from the right side, so I've followed that advise. I've done this on muzzleloaders in the past, and "tapping" worked. So my questions are; are Winchesters always this difficult, are they really tapered, and if so, know of anybody in the Owasso/Tulsa area who could do this in short order? Possibly allowing me to drop by on my way to Red Castle tomorrow? I was really looking forward to trying in out.

And if anyone out there has done this with either a Trapper or any type of Winchester, did you find in necessary to use the plastic test post? This is a 30-30, and the XS kit is WI-0012-5. I can understand that there would be quite a bit of variance between a .357 trapper and a 30-30 trapper, I just wish they would have labeled the box with what they guessed I was buying for.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yes they are tapered and sometimes are really crushed in at the factory.
if your not putting it in a padded vise and just doing it in your lap or the kitchen table your probably never going to get it out. it needs that sharp jolt that you can only get from a very solid hit in a vise.
when putting in the new sight, if its really hard you may want to use a dovetail file to adjust the dovetail.

Latest posts

Top Bottom