High Fence Ranch Busted With Stolen Property

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally attempted to just salt tan a few beaver hides several years back. I washed the hides in dawn dish soap and removed the tails. Those things still stunk after 2 years in the garage. I finally just threw them out.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally attempted to just salt tan a few beaver hides several years back. I washed the hides in dawn dish soap and removed the tails. Those things still stunk after 2 years in the garage. I finally just threw them out.

You know, I'm about to butcher some rabbits here pretty quick. I may put a couple of the pelts back and give it a try ... GC is gonna DIE ... lol That's just what I need ... one more experiment going around here ... I've got cabbage, sourdough and Amish Friendship bread fermenting on the kitchen counter as we speak ... and refrigerator dill pickles, homemade yogurt and kimchi in the fridge ... He thinks I've lost my mind with all this "rotten stuff" sitting around ...

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rabbits are super easy to "tan." I just use kosher salt on the hides. Issue is their skin (on cottontails at least) is super thin, thus easy to create holes in while skinning. I just tack them to a piece of plywood after skinning with picture hanging nails and spread the salt on them, changing the salt out after it turns yellow and hardens.

hogshooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

I have been there and my wife booked a crossbow hunt for a fallow doe . they offered photo hunts where you could hunt the animal shoot it with a tranquilizer dart , have photos made with the animal for a trophy. that way you get the experience and nice photos and the animal is still alive. what else they did with the tranqilizer other than the hunt I couldn't say. we were there last deer season the place was for sale then . they also had a lot of animal mounts for sale. all in all it was a good experience for the wife, but there wasn't much actual hunting involved more like picking an animal .

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never could understand that much. Steve was a nice guy, but kind of one of those "you ain't from around here, are ya?" type guys. He was big on those photo hunts, which I find... flat out retarded, but to each his own. From a business standpoint though, hey, if you can buy one animal and sell multiple successful hunts on it, that sounds like a win-win!

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rabbits are super easy to "tan." I just use kosher salt on the hides. Issue is their skin (on cottontails at least) is super thin, thus easy to create holes in while skinning. I just tack them to a piece of plywood after skinning with picture hanging nails and spread the salt on them, changing the salt out after it turns yellow and hardens.

OK, hmmmm ... I already said "HEY!! Guess what I'm gonna try ..." and got the :saywhat: look ... :rotflmao: Maybe I should get off here and finish that quilt top I have going ... And he might be a little more receptive if I get the garage cleaned out ... again ... :wink2: Although, in my defense, that's HIS stuff laying around out there ... but that's the deal ... I'm the Stepford wife ... He's the money-maker ... :P

I never could understand that much. Steve was a nice guy, but kind of one of those "you ain't from around here, are ya?" type guys. He was big on those photo hunts, which I find... flat out retarded, but to each his own. From a business standpoint though, hey, if you can buy one animal and sell multiple successful hunts on it, that sounds like a win-win!

That sounds like a hunt right up Terry Miller's avenue ... :anyone:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis, I have had one that stunk to high heaven, it does happen. It smelled like a rotting wet dog. I have no idea what was wrong with it, but after about a week my office stunk so bad I took it back to the taxi and told him I wanted it fixed.

Yeah, that's my whole point. If its a bad mount, you can't stay in the room with it because its not tanned properly. Every day will get worse, and within a short period of time, it will start shrinking, and getting that raw meat spoiled smell. My taxidermist in Claremore has everything including a full rhino mount going in his shop last time I was there. Couldn't smell anything other than the nasty assed cigarettes he was smoking.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That sounds like a hunt right up Terry Miller's avenue ... :anyone:

Sorry, BB, but no. To me there is no "thrill" in taking down an animal just for a picture, even if they are only tranquilized. The thrill is in getting the photo "the hard way."

Maybe you saw these pictures in the Official Random Photo Thread. Top of the page (post #976.)

Granted, now-a-days, if I tried stalking deer in the same way, they'd think I might be a walking boulder.

Latest posts

Top Bottom