Hiking check list.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShurShot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ten essentials: http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/ten-essentials.html

The Ten Essentials isn't an REI thing... they just have a page for it.

They have Sawyer Mini water filters at Walmart/Academy also. They're only $22 or so and a lot of long distance hikers use them these days. I have one, it's great. Cheap and small and as good as any filter out there. Easy to pack. Smart-Water bottles or Gatorade bottles are great for carrying your water along with a 2 liter Platypus bag or something like that.

I wouldn't over think it. I like to carry a fixed blade too but it is just a toy on a hike. You won't need it unless you just want to play around with it.

For a long day hike, all you really need are decent shoes (trail running type unless you are bushwhacking off the trail) light weight, fast drying clothes (no cotton), food and water along with the "ten essentials" in case of emergency.

I use cotton balls soaked in Vaseline for fire starters. Packs up pretty small and burns longer than just dryer lint.

My list would be:

First aid kit
Compass (GPS because I already have one so why not)
Map (if you can get one)
Whistle
Signal mirror (I don't have one and never take one) I would probably grab one if I was going to be hiking 10 miles or so up into the mountains.
Matches/bic lighter/firestarter
Water/Water filter
Food (enough so I could make it through the night if I had too)
Hat
Shades
Bandanna
Small tarp or poncho and some line so you can rig up a little shelter to hang out under if you need to wait out a rain shower.
Rain Jacket
Small folding knife
Flashlight
Binoculars
Camera
Pack

I like Smart Wool hiking socks. You can get them at Dick's or Summit in Edmond.

Not to state the obvious but I would check the weather. If there is really a chance you could get stuck out overnight I'd make sure I had the clothes with me to be comfortable.

If you are going to be near a lake or stream, a little fishing gear might be cool.

Hammock? Book? Not sure where you are going but it might be nice to kick back and relax for a couple of hours when you get there!

Sorry for the long post... I was camping/hiking in Devil's Den Memorial weekend, Wichita Wildlife Refuge back country 2 weeks ago, Cub Scout camp last week and was getting my gear cleaned up and ready tonight for the Buffalo River Trail and Branson here in a couple of weeks. I have camping gear on the brain!

Edit: Just read the other two REI links. Yeah, those! And, I almost forgot the TP. Wouldn't be the first time!

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always used to take dryer lint and like 4 ways of starting fire with me, but I replaced that with 2 Bic lighters and a small bottle of alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
That stuff lights instantly and has multiple other uses.

Elm Creek Smith

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry an old Zippo lighter with me everywhere even though I quit smoking cigarettes decades ago. You can fuel it with just about anything, although lighter fluid is preferred and inexpensive, and that thing SPARKS! Besides, I hate disposable stuff.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never plan on a 1 day hike, being a 1 day hike, unless I'm at a nature park or something like that. Out on a real trail, I try to always plan for at least a 1 night stay. If it gets dark, you are better off bedding down for the night than risking getting lost or injury trying to beat your way out in the dark.

Some sort or cord, I carry paracord, at least 100'.

When it comes to fire, always have 2 different ways in the very least. I always carry minimum strike anywhere matches and a firestick. I prefer 3 though if weight isn't a concern and will carry a few lighters as well.

Orange emergency poncho's are cheap and handy, especially in a survival situation. You can use them to signal, to collect rain water with, or morning dew, and of course, them use as they are meant to be used.

I always have a trash bag I carry with me, best to carry is orange, so it can have that many more uses in a bad situation, and you can use your poncho if you actually need it.

I carry 2 compasses, 1 stashed as safely as possible deep in the bag, other on my person at all times. Print out topo maps of immediate area you will be in, and a topo of the area you are going + 10 mile radius. (topo's aren't the easiest to get) Handy if you end up lost, you have a larger area to find yourself on on a map. GPS is nice, but don't rely on them, batteries die, signal isn't always available.

Water purification means. You may be packing in water with you, but if you run out, always nice to have a Sterilite or LifeStraw, iodine tabs, whatever your preferred method to refill would be. All those methods are easier than boiling, but not as safe.

If you have access to an Epi-pen, they can be lifesavers for you or a loved on if you hit something you didn't know you are deadly allergic to.

Add an old school 35mm film canister size of Vaseline to your bad of dryer lint. when you use it, mix a dab of it in with your lint, and it will extend the burn time of your flame giving you a better chance at a successful fire on a windy or wet day.

I try to always have a few real carabiners or s-hooks as well, they can be very handy if you find yourself in a pinch and need to pick something heavy up, suspend something from a tree (gear, shelter, yourself), if you are carrying rope with you...

Fire safe container. Something you could boil water in, cook in, transport water with, as multi purpose as possible with this. When I pack it, I'll put my socks in it, and compass in it as well. If it rains or I fall, my spare compass has a better chance of staying intact, and socks dry.

Spare socks. If a day turns bad, once you end up in camp for the night, a fresh pair of socks can be a real game changer to the psyche. Also, some sort of camp shoes, like sandals or something airy, to air out/dry out your hiking shoes and your feet.

Amount of food you'll require for the trip +10%. Then don't eat unless you are going to hydrate at the same time. Eating uses water, which will make you dehydrate faster. Especially anything with protein, like protein bars. Unless you are snacking on something lite light dried fruit, leave the eating out until you get some downtime and make a meal out of it. You'll feel better in the long run, and your energy level will stay higher and more consistent.

Most important: Drink before you are thirsty and monitor your urine!

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never plan on a 1 day hike, being a 1 day hike, unless I'm at a nature park or something like that. Out on a real trail, I try to always plan for at least a 1 night stay. If it gets dark, you are better off bedding down for the night than risking getting lost or injury trying to beat your way out in the dark.

Some sort or cord, I carry paracord, at least 100'.

When it comes to fire, always have 2 different ways in the very least. I always carry minimum strike anywhere matches and a firestick. I prefer 3 though if weight isn't a concern and will carry a few lighters as well.

Orange emergency poncho's are cheap and handy, especially in a survival situation. You can use them to signal, to collect rain water with, or morning dew, and of course, them use as they are meant to be used.

I always have a trash bag I carry with me, best to carry is orange, so it can have that many more uses in a bad situation, and you can use your poncho if you actually need it.

I carry 2 compasses, 1 stashed as safely as possible deep in the bag, other on my person at all times. Print out topo maps of immediate area you will be in, and a topo of the area you are going + 10 mile radius. (topo's aren't the easiest to get) Handy if you end up lost, you have a larger area to find yourself on on a map. GPS is nice, but don't rely on them, batteries die, signal isn't always available.

Water purification means. You may be packing in water with you, but if you run out, always nice to have a Sterilite or LifeStraw, iodine tabs, whatever your preferred method to refill would be. All those methods are easier than boiling, but not as safe.

If you have access to an Epi-pen, they can be lifesavers for you or a loved on if you hit something you didn't know you are deadly allergic to.

Add an old school 35mm film canister size of Vaseline to your bad of dryer lint. when you use it, mix a dab of it in with your lint, and it will extend the burn time of your flame giving you a better chance at a successful fire on a windy or wet day.

I try to always have a few real carabiners or s-hooks as well, they can be very handy if you find yourself in a pinch and need to pick something heavy up, suspend something from a tree (gear, shelter, yourself), if you are carrying rope with you...

Fire safe container. Something you could boil water in, cook in, transport water with, as multi purpose as possible with this. When I pack it, I'll put my socks in it, and compass in it as well. If it rains or I fall, my spare compass has a better chance of staying intact, and socks dry.

Spare socks. If a day turns bad, once you end up in camp for the night, a fresh pair of socks can be a real game changer to the psyche. Also, some sort of camp shoes, like sandals or something airy, to air out/dry out your hiking shoes and your feet.

Amount of food you'll require for the trip +10%. Then don't eat unless you are going to hydrate at the same time. Eating uses water, which will make you dehydrate faster. Especially anything with protein, like protein bars. Unless you are snacking on something lite light dried fruit, leave the eating out until you get some downtime and make a meal out of it. You'll feel better in the long run, and your energy level will stay higher and more consistent.

Most important: Drink before you are thirsty and monitor your urine!

Thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Top Bottom