Holsters: Do any of you carry OWB concealed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Budget Analyst

I know as a retired military I don't have to do the shooting qualification, but I need to find out whether or not I need to take the classroom training portion.[/QUOTE

As Sanford says above, If your DD-214 says you qualified with a semi auto, the instructor MAY exempt you. If it isn't clear what handgun you qualified with in the service, some will not grant the exemption from the shooting portion. You definitely DO still have to take the classroom portion and the written test though. Best thing is to take your DD-214 and go get get signed up for the class and see what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Budget Analyst

I know as a retired military I don't have to do the shooting qualification, but I need to find out whether or not I need to take the classroom training portion.

You can only be exempted from the shooting portion, and that exemption is basically worthless.
When I was teaching the OK class, I only exempted military people from shooting if they had any official paper showing WHEN and with WHAT PISTOL they qualified in the military.
I'm retired military myself, and I know not everyone in the military SUCCESSFULLY qualified with a SEMI AUTO HANDGUN.
I also did NOT reduce the price for the class for people who were exempt from the shooting, because they made me process and keep more paperwork to do the exemption.

Just man up and do the whole course; I did.. Anyone who cannot pass the OK handgun shooting qualification should not be handling a handgun; it is that simple to pass.

By the way, taking part of the class online costs MORE.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can only be exempted from the shooting portion, and that exemption is basically worthless.
When I was teaching the OK class, I only exempted military people from shooting if they had any official paper showing WHEN and with WHAT PISTOL they qualified in the military.
I'm retired military myself, and I know not everyone in the military SUCCESSFULLY qualified with a SEMI AUTO HANDGUN.
I also did NOT reduce the price for the class for people who were exempt from the shooting, because they made me process and keep more paperwork to do the exemption.

Just man up and do the whole course; I did.. Anyone who cannot pass the OK handgun shooting qualification should not be handling a handgun; it is that simple to pass.

By the way, taking part of the class online costs MORE.

Dang.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've not had any prior service members request an exemption but have had a few take my courses. If they bring me a copy of their DD214 with an honorable discharge, I just don't charge them for the course.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've not had any prior service members request an exemption but have had a few take my courses. If they bring me a copy of their DD214 with an honorable discharge, I just don't charge them for the course.

And that Sir, is in itself, quite honorable of you to do.

COZICAN

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LC9 in a High Noon Slide Guard every day. I'm fairly small at 5'7 170 and cover it easily in a t-shirt. Holster pulls it in tight.

glowworm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm tubby. I can carry a full size 1911 OWB with no problems as long as I don't bend at the waist. (See my posting about putting a bobtail on my 1911 to help take care of this issue) G19 is even easier. Never liked the feel of IWB, or got used to it. Tried appendix carry. I know it's safe as long as I am safe, but it just feels like an invitation to shoot my junk off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom