Homelessness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The numbers are increasing because we’ve lost the will to make people change.
I think a lot of people have lost the will to thrive when handouts are so available and there is no incentive to get a job and move ahead with one's life.
The first incident of this was when the pilgrims landed in the US. They formed a commune type of facility. Quickly found out there are workers and there are sloths willing to live off the workers.
That model has never changed in history.

lilcountry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve noticed it being worse this year as well.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the people standing at the intersections asking for money. Are they legit homeless or scammers looking for free money?
90% scammers. Most of them just don't want to work for a living. There's a young guy that begs near I40 and Choctaw Road. Twice I've seen him at the loves scratching off his lottery tickets. The last time he was sitting at a table in the Subway store with a large stack of tickets, just scratching away.

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My take- it's a sad deal that some folks just don't have the will- drive- desire- ability to just go to work like most of us. When they try it, they can't keep up- understand- stay clean enough or display social skills that may be needed. It puts sense into what Christ told his followers- the poor will be with you always. Why did he say that? I believe he was telling them, us, that we need to find a way to help them. I've been as bad as anyone- head off an exit and there they are working the corner. If I give them money, are they getting drunk/high with it? My choice is working with food bank that feeds these folks. I won't even pretend to have an answer for why it is what it is, and I've come to point that I believe I'm not supposed to do that, but just try to help them in a way that can do that. Just my 2 cents worth.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My take- it's a sad deal that some folks just don't have the will- drive- desire- ability to just go to work like most of us. When they try it, they can't keep up- understand- stay clean enough or display social skills that may be needed. It puts sense into what Christ told his followers- the poor will be with you always. Why did he say that? I believe he was telling them, us, that we need to find a way to help them. I've been as bad as anyone- head off an exit and there they are working the corner. If I give them money, are they getting drunk/high with it? My choice is working with food bank that feeds these folks. I won't even pretend to have an answer for why it is what it is, and I've come to point that I believe I'm not supposed to do that, but just try to help them in a way that can do that. Just my 2 cents worth.
My aunt used to work at a liquor store. The people getting the government hand out food would always try and trade her the food for booze.
I'm sure some trade it for drugs now.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve noticed it being worse this year as well.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the people standing at the intersections asking for money. Are they legit homeless or scammers looking for free money?
Pure scammers. I've seen people being let off at corners and exchanging workers as if they were working a shift. They had a newer Ford F250 and three more people inside.

I've talked to one fella that had a sister in Dallas that was in the hospital and he needed money for gas. I gave him a 20. He was there again the next night "needing gas money".

Pissed me the eff off! I called the police.

Saw a wheelchair guy with Marine and POW flags with one leg at I40 and Meridian. I gave him a salute.

He returned my salute with the wrong hand. Funny thing is he started to do it correctly with the right hand then switched to the left. He was for sure not a marine.

SCAM!

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Feed them and they will come/stay.

I’ve heard some good hearted souls have transported some of the over flow in the metros to suburban communities to enjoy.
We used to do that. We had Salvation Army money to get these transients a bus pass to Wichita or Kansas City. It was their problem afterward.

Latest posts

Top Bottom