Homelessness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know quite a few homeless people. I would say 99% have serious drug addictions. The ones I know have burned every bridge of family members by stealing from them. I have compassion for them and have helped some of them but most homeless are by choice. I knew a one legged homeless guy that was given a decent camper and destroyed it then was given a nice wood portable building and destroyed it to. He is homeless.
Correctamundo! Sometimes people are homeless because they want to be. People live in what they want to live in. There was a house in Kansas that was normal on the outside but it had a dirt floor because they sold the wood for drugs. I have dealt with hundreds as an LEO and as a citizen alarm technician in large cities and downtown OKC. I would say a really large percentage are from drugs and the poor decisions made to obtain more.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve noticed it being worse this year as well.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the people standing at the intersections asking for money. Are they legit homeless or scammers looking for free money?
95% scammers. One of the OKC TV stations interviewed a guy a year or so ago. Admitted to making about 40K a year from the bleeding hearts.
Another on OSA had a video of some guy in a wheelchair at an intersection panhandling. About dark he moved his real leg that he was sitting on and walked away. Blanket in the lap hiding everything.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve noticed it being worse this year as well.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the people standing at the intersections asking for money. Are they legit homeless or scammers looking for free money?
It's just sad, and it bothers me. I don't know what's causing it or how to fix it, but I don't think we should ignore it. As for handing out money, that's a hard no, you're extending someone's misery and endangering yourself and others. I pray someone comes up with a solution.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps one of the reasons we see so many homelessness people is because “we” encourage it by providing so many things. There are many reasons, divorce, bankruptcy, etc. Some people don’t like to be told to do certain things, they hate authority figures. Then there isn’t so much of a stigma now as there was in earlier years. Why work when you have everything given?
As for the beggars on street corners, I don’t even make eye contact. These people could find some kind of gainful employment if they can make it to a street corner.

NorthFan

Marksman
Reaction score
95% scammers. One of the OKC TV stations interviewed a guy a year or so ago. Admitted to making about 40K a year from the bleeding hearts.
Another on OSA had a video of some guy in a wheelchair at an intersection panhandling. About dark he moved his real leg that he was sitting on and walked away. Blanket in the lap hiding everything.
Like this guy. He’s got his American flag, dogs, and wheelchair. Probably pulls in more tax free money than a lot of Oklahomans who work. Packed up and strolled down the road walking better than I can.

Attachments

• Logan Pass-50.jpeg
    Logan Pass-50.jpeg
    6.6 MB · Views: 0

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed a large increase in the homeless in the ada area when medical marijuana was passed. Seemed almost to happen over night tents popping up and folks in sleeping bags on main street.

There are 2 homeless "camps" in the woods around Ada, so I have been told.

Also an uptick when a shelter opened up in Ada. They run them out at 8am. Most of the ones there have cars. Makes me wonder how many have insurance and a valid license.

My personal opinion is its a life style choice followed by drug use.

Latest posts

Top Bottom