Hornady Lock-n-Load AP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It replaces the case expander die and the powder through expander (use one or the other).
It's role is to put the bell on the case at the same time of the powder drop. One powder funnel covers many calibers, check the website for a list.
I hope that answered your question.

I keep a few spare parts on hand. Usually a primer punch for both large and small (including the slide and spring) and several case retaining springs. The case springs are probably the most likely item to get messed up. However, Hornady has sent me quite a few parts some, for just in case problem solutions. Spoke to Doug in tech Friday and he gave me the use #6 V block for 9mm cases idea which solved the occasional tip of cases as they entered the shell plate. Plus he sent me a few parts that had worn out.

Good advice; I was looking at that powder through expander from powderfunnels right after I ordered the press; does it just work with the Hornady powder through die?

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually considered getting a Dillon 650 after I had already been using my LNL. Then I did the math and realized that caliber changes with a case feeder were going to be over $200 each and that wasn't even going the "deluxe" route, ouch!
I suspect each brand is going to have their weakness, not necessarily making one head and shoulders better than the other.
Now that I feel like I have my LNL dialed in and with the right add on's it works great.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It replaces the case expander die and the powder through expander (use one or the other).
It's role is to put the bell on the case at the same time of the powder drop. One powder funnel covers many calibers, check the website for a list.
I hope that answered your question.

It looked to me like it was just the expander that replaces the several different ones from Hornady; does it fit inside the Hornady powder die, or does it come with it's own die? I might not understand just how it fits into the press. I was thinking you had to have a powder through die, and this is an insert for it?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How did you mount the dillon handle? I've been thinking about doing that to mine but I wanted to see and hear how it was done from somebody locally. Would you mind posting up a pick of it? Thanks.

I used several washers to get the spacing right. I'll get a pic and post it tomorrow.

I'm interested in seeing this too.

Madpap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It looked to me like it was just the expander that replaces the several different ones from Hornady; does it fit inside the Hornady powder die, or does it come with it's own die? I might not understand just how it fits into the press. I was thinking you had to have a powder through die, and this is an insert for it?
It works the same as the Hornady, nothing else to buy.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It works the same as the Hornady, nothing else to buy.

Sorry to be stupid (haven't used one of these before), but it does require the powder through die first though, right? Then if you use the Hornady inserts, you change them out depending on caliber, and if you use the powderfunnel, it's universal so it goes into the powder through die, just like Hornady's inserts.....I hope I have that right. Have never seen the setup before, so I'm trying to figure out what I'll need. LOL - I might need someone to draw me a picture!

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's essentially a Hornady PTX that you adjust up or down for case flare of different calibers (it's cone shaped). It drops into the powder dispenser and basically takes the place of the piece that touches the case mouth to dispense the powder.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Excuse the mess, I just finished a long reloading session.

Dillon Handle
ai73.photobucket.com_albums_i204_tul9033_DSC05400.jpg

ai73.photobucket.com_albums_i204_tul9033_DSC05399.jpg

The Powder Funnel
ai73.photobucket.com_albums_i204_tul9033_DSC05404.jpg

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's essentially a Hornady PTX that you adjust up or down for case flare of different calibers (it's cone shaped). It drops into the powder dispenser and basically takes the place of the piece that touches the case mouth to dispense the powder.

OK, got it - makes sense now.

doublearon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm starting to think these, along with a powder funnel from powderfunnels.com are must have accessories for the LNL AP.

http://ultimatereloader.com/?p=404

aultimatereloader.com_wp_content_uploads_2009_04_p1000306.jpg

http://ultimatereloader.com/?p=340

aultimatereloader.com_wp_content_uploads_2009_02_handle_side_view1.jpg

aultimatereloader.com_wp_content_uploads_2009_02__loading_comparison_while_standing1.jpg

aultimatereloader.com_wp_content_uploads_2009_02_gavin_ergo_lever_down1.jpg

I've actually got powder dies for each of the cartridges I load on it, and will soon add a second so I can use one set up to expand the cases for jacketed and lead bullets. That way, with lead, I can seat and taper crimp separately, and still have room for the Hornady powder cop die.

Latest posts

Top Bottom