How do you balance and budget...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yeah but the initial cost of reloading is expensive also, right? all the equipment and brass at first. right?

or am i dead wrong on that.

Depends on the caliber. If it's something like 9mm Parabellum, then yes, it'd be a long time before you recovered the cost of the reloading equipment. If you're into 7.7 Arisaka or another esoteric caliber, then you'd recognize your investment in a hurry.

Str8 Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on the caliber. If it's something like 9mm Parabellum, then yes, it'd be a long time before you recovered the cost of the reloading equipment. If you're into 7.7 Arisaka or another esoteric caliber, then you'd recognize your investment in a hurry.

well i would be attempting to reload 9mm and .45 acp. how quickly would my return investment be on that?

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah but the initial cost of reloading is expensive also, right? all the equipment and brass at first. right?

or am i dead wrong on that.

Well, it might be different for you, a lot of it depends on how much you shoot. At the time GC and I both were shooting 4 or 5 nights out of the week and then shooting a match somewhere in Oklahoma or Texas 3 weekends outta 4. We gather our brass at the range so that was/is free ... To be honest, I haven't done the math in FOREVER but IIRC we were back in the black in less than 6 weeks.

He's not here right now and I can't remember what we paid for everything up front. We reload both 9mm and .45 so I'll have him shoot you a PM tomorrow if you want. He's the numbers guy ... I just pull the lever and make the little bullet go "plink" into the little blue tray ...

I bought a couple of boxes of 100 rds of 9mm Winchester at WallyWorld just this afternoon ... 20 bucks each ... (we need some more brass lol).

Str8 Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BadgeBunny said:
Well, it might be different for you, a lot of it depends on how much you shoot. At the time GC and I both were shooting 4 or 5 nights out of the week and then shooting a match somewhere in Oklahoma or Texas 3 weekends outta 4. We gather our brass at the range so that was/is free ... To be honest, I haven't done the math in FOREVER but IIRC we were back in the black in less than 6 weeks.

He's not here right now and I can't remember what we paid for everything up front. We reload both 9mm and .45 so I'll have him shoot you a PM tomorrow if you want. He's the numbers guy ... I just pull the lever and make the little bullet go "plink" into the little blue tray ...

I bought a couple of boxes of 100 rds of 9mm Winchester at WallyWorld just this afternoon ... 20 bucks each ... (we need some more brass lol).

That would be great if he could give me a little more insight to how you guys run your operation ;)

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That would be great if he could give me a little more insight to how you guys run your operation ;)

Well ... if THAT's all you want to know, here's how it works ... he tells me what to do and I do it ...

:lmfao:

OK ... now that you have gathered yourself up off the floor and wiped the tears from your eyes ... I'll have him PM ya!!

glock girl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
rimfire... at a ratio of about 10rimfire to 1 centerfire you shoot. Get a conversion kit for your handgun or buy a semi auto or revolver that mimics your favored handgun.

any time spent behind a 22 build marksmanship skills

+1 on shooting .22.

I almost never buy ammo other than .22LR. I reload everything else I shoot.

I can load 1000 9MM for about $110

I also reload 7.62x25 and 8MM Mauser.

The only time I buy centerfire ammo is if it's dirt cheap. Not long ago I got a good deal on a can of 800 7.62x25 Bulgarian. I cannot load it as cheap as this was.

I do try to work a little cash into my reloading fund as I can. Although lately I've been so broke I've been using up a lot of the stocks of 9MM I had in my ammo locker. I need to replenish ASAP.

Definitely +1 on reloading! I haven't been shooting much lately, but when I was shooting a lot, reloading was the only way that it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Well ... if THAT's all you want to know, here's how it works ... he tells me what to do and I do it ...

:lmfao:

OK ... now that you have gathered yourself up off the floor and wiped the tears from your eyes ... I'll have him PM ya!!

Hey you crazy lady. I haven't seen you in about a year! :bighug:

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a single guy averaging 60-77 hours a week. I don't have much time to shoot but you better believe there is money in the budget for ammo. I guess if I was going to budget money each week for ammo, I would probably limit myself to 1-2 hours overtime pay each week for ammo.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish I had a reloading set up, or someone that would reload for me (as in I pay for components and they keep a percentage of the final product). I shoot a lot and never pick up the brass. I usually just buy from midwayusa or sportsworld. Walmart is good and I usually pick up a couple of new clients while I am there!

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A wise old fart once told me I'd never save any money getting into reloading. He was right. I've spent countless thousands of dollars on 4 presses, 15 sets of dies, 10's of thousands of projectiles, lots of 4lb and 8lb kegs of powder, many cases of primers, and all of the assorted accessories. Granted my cost per round is drastically lower than retail and I shoot a lot more than I used to... I've spent waaay more money than I would have had I not gotten into reloading.

Latest posts

Top Bottom