How Long?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I have always done a little, at least ever since I was a scout. I bought my first generator in 1999 and have been doing a little more every since.

OKC9-12LEDR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did some canned food and bottled water in 1999 and coasted for several years after that. My wife got me to watch Glenn Beck back when he was on CNN, then followed him to Fox. I started reading about our history and the founding fathers. Read books like 5000 Year Leap, The Culture Warrior by Bill O'Reilly, Liberty and Tyranny by Mark Levin, Liberal Fascism by Jonah Goldberg. I also read Crash Proof 2.0 by Peter Schiff, that really woke me up to the financial troubles we had. After that I started reading books like One Second After, Patriots, TEOTWAWKI, Lucifer's Hammer and World Made by Hand. I ran across TheSurvivalPodcast about 3 years ago, not long after Jack started the program. After that was when I kicked my prepping into high gear.

One of the many inspiring guests on TSP was a guy names Chris Martensen. He talked about his video presentation Crash Course. I never looked back after watching that, we are truly facing difficult times with the challenges we face due to demographics, soil depletion, the food crisis, the dwindling energy supply and the massive money printing and total lack of willingness on the part of our politicians to even discuss the real problems we face.

I watched a very informative UTube video this morning, one of the best I have seen in a long time. Stefan Molyneux, host of Freedomain Radio breaks down the unspoken facts about why there will be no economic recovery. The charts and statistics Stefan quotes are some of the most telling that I have seen in some time. Definitely worth the time to watch it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYkl3XlEneA

GlockNLoad, best way to avoid feeling overwhelmed is to just pick some place to start and focus on that. Take on more as you make progress. I found the more I prep, the better I sleep. Taking action is the best solution. I used to worry a lot more about things I had no control of. Once you have a decent supply of basic foods and water put back, you will feel a lot better. Having a plan and sticking to it worked for me. Joining a preparedness group was also a big help. There wasn't any around back when I started getting serous, so a friend and I started one. We have over 80 families in the group now and more joining each month. Going to monthly meetings and talking openly with like minded people is a big help to most people. We had a few that left, they just couldn't handle the conversation and face the reality of how bad things really could get, even in America. My wife and several friends from the group spent Wednesday morning at the LDS cannery putting up several cases of dehydrated foods to add to our larder. We can and dehydrate at least once a month and continue to put back.

Glock N Load

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the link! Very good video. I just started reading One second after and really like it so far. And thanks for the prepping advice also.
I did some canned food and bottled water in 1999 and coasted for several years after that. My wife got me to watch Glenn Beck back when he was on CNN, then followed him to Fox. I started reading about our history and the founding fathers. Read books like 5000 Year Leap, The Culture Warrior by Bill O'Reilly, Liberty and Tyranny by Mark Levin, Liberal Fascism by Jonah Goldberg. I also read Crash Proof 2.0 by Peter Schiff, that really woke me up to the financial troubles we had. After that I started reading books like One Second After, Patriots, TEOTWAWKI, Lucifer's Hammer and World Made by Hand. I ran across TheSurvivalPodcast about 3 years ago, not long after Jack started the program. After that was when I kicked my prepping into high gear.

One of the many inspiring guests on TSP was a guy names Chris Martensen. He talked about his video presentation Crash Course. I never looked back after watching that, we are truly facing difficult times with the challenges we face due to demographics, soil depletion, the food crisis, the dwindling energy supply and the massive money printing and total lack of willingness on the part of our politicians to even discuss the real problems we face.

I watched a very informative UTube video this morning, one of the best I have seen in a long time. Stefan Molyneux, host of Freedomain Radio breaks down the unspoken facts about why there will be no economic recovery. The charts and statistics Stefan quotes are some of the most telling that I have seen in some time. Definitely worth the time to watch it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYkl3XlEneA

GlockNLoad, best way to avoid feeling overwhelmed is to just pick some place to start and focus on that. Take on more as you make progress. I found the more I prep, the better I sleep. Taking action is the best solution. I used to worry a lot more about things I had no control of. Once you have a decent supply of basic foods and water put back, you will feel a lot better. Having a plan and sticking to it worked for me. Joining a preparedness group was also a big help. There wasn't any around back when I started getting serous, so a friend and I started one. We have over 80 families in the group now and more joining each month. Going to monthly meetings and talking openly with like minded people is a big help to most people. We had a few that left, they just couldn't handle the conversation and face the reality of how bad things really could get, even in America. My wife and several friends from the group spent Wednesday morning at the LDS cannery putting up several cases of dehydrated foods to add to our larder. We can and dehydrate at least once a month and continue to put back.

Road Runner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the video link. I think he is on point and has the information America needs to hear and understand regarding the financial crisis in our country. If the truth is not heard, there is no hope.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We started with a garden, and canning. We also would spend an extra $20 each time we would go to wal-mart (once a week) on prep supplies (canned food, toiletries, medicine, etc) and have collected a lot that way. We didn't really notice the extra $20 each time we went.

jrguns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been for some time now however I feel it is not long enough. I can see from others and articles that I read or videos I view that I still have a long way to go to feel safe. jakers idea is one way I have done and that is a little each time to the store. I have the guns and ammo for the most part. A good bugout location. Some knowledge. Water storage and some food storage. guess that it is never done or complete till the day TSHF and you start using it.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We started with a garden, and canning. We also would spend an extra $20 each time we would go to wal-mart (once a week) on prep supplies (canned food, toiletries, medicine, etc) and have collected a lot that way. We didn't really notice the extra $20 each time we went.

This is how I started out too. It's amazing how much you can do with just $20 here and there. GC has been doing it since before I met him ... me? Since 2007 ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom